SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claudesw

dual fuel heat pump vs standard gas furnace and ac systems

claudesw
15 years ago

I have been considering various types of systems, primarily dual fuel heat pump with gas backup furnaces, and have two general questions. After very helpful comments from comentators here on specific systems quotes, I decided to investigate further the merits of dual fuel systems versus other setups. I know that I do want a gas furnace in the package, whether as a backup with a hp or in combination with an air conditioning unit.

1. I have received information from several sources that studies suggest heat pumps last for about 12 yrs. versus 15 years for equipment in standard setups (I assume this would be for furnace a/c combinations). Is this information relatively accurate? I believe a study was cited but do not have the citation.

2. I am "cold natured" so in addition to efficiency and eveness of temperature, I am especially concerned about the quality of heat and also the rapidity with which my house will "warm up". I also like to feel the warm air. My understanding is that the air temp. at the vent for a hp while heating is 80 to 90 degrees and may not feel warm (some "cold natured" people have commented that they never felt "warm" with heat pump heat). In contrast with a gas furnace the temp. coming from the vent is higher, and the air feels warmer. Is that correct?

3. Regarding gas furnaces that achieve efficiency by running at a lower speed (fan speed I assume), would the lower speed affect the feeling of warmth or the rapidity with which the air heats? Would this differ between variable speed units that vary speeds with temperature and two stage or single stage units that are pre set to run at lower speeds most or all of the time?

4. I also understand that the dual fuel heat pumps are generally more expensive at purchase than comparable (brand, rated efficiency etc.) gas furnace/standard ac combinations. I also understand that the potential advantage of the dual fuel heat pumps would be in running cost savings when the heat pumps are providing heat above 40 % and the magnitude of those savings (if any) depend on the cost of natural gas relative to electricity.

Is my understanding generally correct?

Sorry if I am belaboring all of this. The experts on the forum have been so very helpful, and thank you for your patience.

Regards, Beth

Comments (2)