SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzbv

Heat pump, oil furnace, and electric furnace

jzbv
10 years ago

Hi, I am in southwest Pennsylvania and have a 2-story 2000 sq foot home on top of a 1000 sq foot unfinished basement/garage that only gets residual heat from the furnace down there) with Rheem forced-air oil furnace and 10 SEER central A/C (both 15 seasons old). Due to the SIGNIFICANTLY high cost of oil (paying $3000+ for about 900 gallons to heat our home each winter past few seasons), I am planning to very soon replace the A/C with a heat pump (13 or 14 SEER, or higher). Also considering replacing the furnace with an electric furnace, which is the main decision that is holding me from moving ahead. I had been told over the years to avoid electric, but since oil has increased 6-fold! I believe electric is now in play. I guess I need to somehow calculate the cost for 1. heat pump/less oil/somewhat higher electric bills vs 2. heat pump/electric furnace/no oil/much higher electric bills vs 3. current oil furnace. Gas is not a choice since no gas lines are nearby, otherwise I would have a gas furnace and not be asking these questions. I currently pay 4.99cents/Kwh (plus other non-fixed charges based on consumption is 7.32cents/Kwh) thru Sep 2014, though that will likely go up in the future. Should I or should I not be concerned with big spikes in my electric bill, and also about whether the 2nd floor will be as warm in the winter with a heat pump/electric furnace and as cool in the summer with a heat pump. What brands of equipment are recommended? Advice and/or recommendations, please. Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner