SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

How do you define a good (or great) cook?

jojoco
13 years ago

I really want to hear what people think defines a good (or great) cook. (not baker, since that really is a different topic altogether) I've heard people often say, "my mother was a terrible cook", but was it because of the limited and predictable range of the times, (ie, casseroles and minute steak) or because she overcooked everything and was afraid to improvise. Does "good" equal experience? Formal training? A throw-caution-to-the-wind attitude? Following recipes to the letter? Or perhaps it is the audience? For example, I think my mil is a rather uninspired cook. She is an awesome woman, but her strengths do not lie in the kitchen. She makes the same things over and over, and it is always plain jane type food and not all that good to boot. But then again, my fil wouldn't touch anything but that. He would turn up his nose at anything more complex than meat and potatoes. And yet, he would say she is a good cook. To him, she is. But then I look at the FN chefs and other media sources, and I would say most of them don't strike me as particularily good cooks. Creative, yes, well marketed; certainly. But some of the things that come out just are odd and unappealing. The napoleon craze comes to mind.

So what do you think, cf'ers. If just okay food is well received, (ie, my mil), does that make someone a good cook? And the reverse, too. I know not to make an greek orzo salad for my in laws because they wouldn't care for it. If I did make it, it is quite likely that they would think I am not much of a cook.

Thoughts?

Jo

Comments (23)