SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madame47

Central a/c problem in S. Florida

madame47
14 years ago

Last week the central a/c unit inside our hallway closet began pouring water thru the rear, it stopped the next day. Yesterday it started again and leaked for hours. Today, Sunday, the unit is not cooling, only warm air comes out. I called a technician we've used before to determine what could be wrong and also to clean out the coil, hope to hear from him tomorrow morning. I had this same company out here 3 months ago to clean the coil; they declined to clean it and asked us to call them in January 2010 to do the work, the technician said it wasn't needed yet.

We change the filter monthly. This unit is at least 11 yrs. old. The capacitor was replaced on 8/08. In the event we need to replace both the inside and outside components (have no idea what they're each called) we'd really like to purchase a Trane unit such as XL16i or XL20i; however, I know Trane is quite expensive and with the current state of the economy we may have to settle for a less expensive, but reliable unit.

What other units could others recommend to us? If you have a Trane unit, your input is appreciated. Ours is a 3 ton unit, we have about 1400 sq. ft. under a/c. Thanks!

Comments (4)