SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
therealdeal_gw

Central Florida suggestion

13 years ago

Hello all. My A/C had stopped cooling. I have a Nordyne 2.5 ton system with heat pump that is about 11 years old.

I had an A/C guy come out on "the side".

He said he added about 5 pounds of freon. He said he noticed a little oil around the condensor inside the handler but did not see any leaks. (This is my first problem with the a/c in about 5 years) That repair lasted about 3 weeks and it stopped cooling again.

He came out again and said the freon wasnt really down much. So he cut part of a line off and said he cleaned debris out of it. It was inside near the handler. He sniffed and found no leaks.

He said it is normal for debris to build up inside the line over the years. I cant remember what he called it. It was some sort of valve or something inside the line. It cooled for only about 1 hour and stopped cooling. In fact when I turn on the system it gets hotter in the house.

Does this make sense about the debris? Is it possible the line is clogged again so soon?

Also, if the condensor is leaking somewhere, can it be repaired vs replaced? He said it would be around $1000.00 to repair. I just do not have that kind of dough right now.

And lastly, I would like a second opinion. Does anyone know a good A/C person in St Pete area that can be trusted?

Thanks so much.

Comments (6)