SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Rotisserie Chicken Leftovers - Ideas?

lowspark
14 years ago

I love to buy those rotisserie chickens when I don't necessarily feel like cooking but don't want to go out either. HEB (local grocery store) has five flavors: Original, Honey Jalape, Lemon Pepper, Italian Herb and Honey Mesquite.

We usually eat the leg quarters for dinner along with a side, leaving the breast meat for another meal. Sometimes we just eat the breasts the next day but I'm looking for ideas of things to make with them.

What do you do with your leftovers?

Comments (21)

• JoanM
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use the light flatout wraps and add bar-b-que sauce to make a light chicken wrap. It's very filling.

I also chop up the white meat and add it to salad with an asian dressing. Yum!

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

I use Costco rotisserie chickens all the time for recipe short cuts. I make chicken quesadillas, chicken enchiladas, chicken taco bar. Lately I've made a killer chicken salad but I don't have a set recipe for it. It's chicken chunks with chopped apple, onion, cranberry chutney, mayo, dijon mustard, S&P.

And here are some of my favorite chicken recipes:

==================================================
    Butter Chicken (Indian Chicken in Tomato Cream Sauce)
    Recipe courtesy Carla Fitzgerald Williams, Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue!, Hyperion Books, 2003

Spice Blend:
    1 tablespoon garam masala seasoning
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Sauce:
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
    1 skinless rotisserie chicken, boned out and pulled into 1 1/2 by 1/2-inch chunks
    1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas, placed in a colander and run under hot water to thaw
    1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Hot basmati rice, for serving
    Pita bread, warmed according to package directions, for serving

To make the spice blend: Stir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.

To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the pieces just begin to turn gold, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and spice blend, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning. The spices will be fragrant. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and stir will. Add the chicken pieces, spoon the sauce over the top and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce is flavorful, about 10 minutes. Stir frequently.

Add the peas and cream to the sauce in the pan, stir well and heat through. Do not boil.

Serve with rice and warmed pita bread.

Serves 4
    ===========================================

Chicken Rolls with Avgolemono Sauce

Filling

3 Tbsp butter
    2 ½ cups chopped onion
    2 cups chopped celery

6 cups, cooked, diced chicken
    ¼ cup chopped parsley
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper

Avgolemono Sauce

½ cup butter
    ½ cup flour
    5 cups hot chicken stock
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    6 egg yolks, beaten
    ½ cup fresh lemon juice

Phyllo

2 pounds (48 sheets)
    1 pound unsalted butter, clarified

Note: The original recipe calls for poaching bone-in chicken breasts in water with onions celery, bay leaf, parsley, salt and pepper. I cheat, and poach boneless breasts in chicken stock.

Filling: In a skillet, melt butter and sauté onion until soft. Add celery and sauté until
    tender.

In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, parsley, nutmeg, cheese, salt and pepper. Add
    onions and celery from skillet, and mix well.

Avgolemono sauce: In a saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Cook gently, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add stock, stirring until sauce thickens and bubbles. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a little sauce to the beaten egg yolks and lemon juice, to temper, then stir the yolk mixture into the sauce. Simmer over low heat a few minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 ½ cups sauce to the chicken mixture, mix well. Reserve remaining sauce - it will be used at serving, refrigerate.

Phyllo Preparation: Brush one phyllo sheet with butter, layer second sheet on top and brush with butter. Spread 2 rounded Tbsp of chicken filling at one end of sheets, 3 inches from end and 2 inchs from each side. Fold phyllo up over filling, to form a roll.
    Fold side edges in to enclose. Roll up, jelly roll fashion, to end of phyllo sheet. Seal with butter; brush outside with butter. (Rolls can be frozen at this point)

Makes approx. 24 rolls.

Place rolls on baking sheet and bake at 400° F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Reheat reserved sauce and serve with rolls. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.

Adapted from: Greek Cooking in an American Kitchen
    St. Demetrios Church, Seattle, Washington

Oly

Oops sorry -a correction to the chicken recipe. We put a little more filling in our rolls than the recipe calls for, so you will only get about 15 rolls from this quantity of filling. You'll need less phyllo, about 30 sheets (about 1 lb)

Oly

==========================================

Tarragon-Cream Chicken and Polenta Pot Pies
    Rachael Ray, 2007
    =================================
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 ribs celery with the greens, chopped
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    3 cups chicken stock, divided
    1 cup cream, divided
    1/2 cup quick cooking polenta, plus more, if needed*
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    6 sprigs fresh tarragon, stripped and chopped, 3 to 4 tablespoons
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

In a deep skillet heat 2 turns of the pan extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and lightly brown, 3 minutes, add carrots, onions, and celery as you chop. Season with salt and pepper and cook 10 to 12 minutes to soften.

Preheat broiler. Set rack in middle of oven.

Bring 1 cup chicken stock and 1/2 cup cream to a boil, stir in polenta and whisk, 3 minutes. Turn heat low, stir in Gruyere cheese and reserve.

*Cook's Note: You may need up to 3/4 to 1 cup of polenta to fill the tops of your soup bowls or use some more of the remaining stock.

Scoot meat and veggies off to side, melt butter and combine with flour 1 minute. Whisk in 2 cups stock and combine, stir in 1/2 cup cream and bring to a bubble. Stir in Dijon, tarragon, peas and adjust salt and pepper and transfer to soup bowls. Set soup bowls on baking dish. Form tops to your pot pies with the polenta and cheese mixture. Set under broiler and brown 2 to 3 minutes.

• Related Discussions

Want Rotisserie - Turns out as Smoked Chicken!

Q

Comments (5)
    slucci, What do you mean by raw? Smoke meat does look red, but not raw. What was the temperature and where did you take the reading? The thermometer should read 180 when inserted in the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone. 90 minutes is quick unless it was a small bird. It normally takes me at least 2 hours with a five pound bird straight from the refrigerator. If using a frozen bird, especially if quickly thawed in a microwave, be VERY certain its completely thawed. It will not cook correctly if the breast is thawed but the centers of the thighs are still frozen. Leave the lid on and do place a drip pan under the bird. Also the bird should not be directly over the coals. Rather the coals should be off to one side either to the front or back, parallel with the spit. I haven't owned a kettle style grill, but I believe bricks are placed under the chicken to keep the coals to the side. carlcarter, You should have started a new thread to change topics. The nature of your questions suggests you do not have the knowledge to run the gas line safely, please hire a professional. If youÂre still tempted to do it yourself remember your insurance company will deny any claims resulting form an improper installation and you could be charged with criminal negligence if someone gets hurts or dies as a result of a leak from your DIY installation.
    ...See More

Thawing a whole Rotisserie chicken

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree, the chicken is perfectly safe to eat, as it's been frozen. Frozen food loses quality, but it's not a safety issue. I'd also thaw it in the refrigerator and then see if any of it has dried out, although as it's only been a matter of a couple of months, I'm thinking it's still fine. Annie
    ...See More

ideas for rotisserie chicken

Q

Comments (23)
    Gina posted this in the Cooking Forum, it's made easy because of the rotisserie chicken; someone said they froze this minus the cream and peas, and it was great, they added the last 2ingredients at warm up time. Butter Chicken (Indian Chicken in Tomato Cream Sauce) Recipe courtesy Carla Fitzgerald Williams, Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue!, Hyperion Books, 2003 ---- Gina Spice Blend: 1 tablespoon garam masala seasoning 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon cayenne Sauce: 3 tablespoons butter 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup) 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 tablespoon tomato paste 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice 1 skinless rotisserie chicken, boned out and pulled into 1 1/2 by 1/2-inch chunks 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas, placed in a colander and run under hot water to thaw 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream Hot basmati rice, for serving Pita bread, warmed according to package directions, for serving To make the spice blend: Stir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the pieces just begin to turn gold, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and spice blend, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning. The spices will be fragrant. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and stir will. Add the chicken pieces, spoon the sauce over the top and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the chicken is warmed through and the sauce is flavorful, about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Add the peas and cream to the sauce in the pan, stir well and heat through. Do not boil. Serve with rice and warmed pita bread. Serves 4
    ...See More

Butter Chicken: Have a Great Recipe For It?

Q

Comments (24)
    Holly and Lynn, I hope you like the spice paste. Be warned that the cooking odor is really strong. I don't have great ventilation so weather permitting I make it outside on the burner in my barbecue grill. It seems from the Amazon comments that butter chicken is a regional dish, like barbecue, and there are arguments about which ingredients are authentic. I usually add onions and peas but the paste really lends itself to be a base for whatever you like. When my vegetarian daughter is home I substitute chunks of firm tofu for the chicken and it turns out really well. Dee
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    14 years ago

CHicken Quesadillas, Chicken Chili (Ina Gartens is excellent!), chicken salad, jambalaya, etc. Here are a couple of recipes I frequently use left over chicken for.....

Chicken Chili from Ina
    Prep Time:
    15 min
    Inactive Prep Time:
    hr min
    Cook Time:
    1 hr 45 min
    Level:
    Easy
    Serves:
    6 servings
    4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
    1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
    1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves)
    2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
    2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
    2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
    1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
    4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
    Freshly ground black pepper
    For serving:
    Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream
    Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times). Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks. Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.
    Mexican Chicken Casserole

INGREDIENTS:
    2 (16 ounce) jars salsa
    2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    1/2 cup sliced green onion (reserve a few for the top)
    1 can green chili peppers, diced
    1/2 cup diced roasted red pepper from a jar (reserve a few for the top)
    1 (8 ounce) can chili beans, rinsed and drained
    6 (12 inch) flour tortillas, cut so they make a flat layer
    4 cups cooked chicken
    4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 can sliced black olives
    1 cup Sour Cream

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl salsa, cream of chicken soup, green onion, chili peppers, roasted red pepper and chili beans.
    3. Layer the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish with 1/3 tortillas. Top with 1/3 chicken, 1/3 salsa mixture and 1/3 Cheddar cheese. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients.
    4. Top with shredded cheese, green onions, black olives and additional red peppers.
    4. Bake in the preheated oven 30 - 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Dot with tablespoons of sour cream when serving.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Lowspark;
    When I Roast a Chicken, I save the Breasts in the freezer,
    if no one eats them.

When I get enough, I'll slice them and
    add to Wedding Chicken Soup, along with the small Meatballs

I add them when the Soup is almost done.

I tried it once and the Chicken was really tasty.
    Don't like the White Meat in Soup but this was good.

Been doing it ever since.

In fact I'm having some tonight.Want a dish ???
    LOU

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Lowspark:
    Here is Photo of the Wedding Chicken Soup, with Meat Balls
    and pieces of Breasts.

I make Chicken Salad a lot , with leftover chicken ?
    Lou

• rachelellen
    14 years ago

Sandwiches, soups, quesadillas, omelets, chicken salad, chicken and noodle casserole, pot pies, chicken & cous cous, chicken & rice, chicken & potatoes (chicken shepherd pie) pasta dishes, gosh....pre cooked chicken breast is the all-use meat!

I love to make any number of vegetable, noodle or grain salads, and then just top them with some leftover roasted meats of one kind or another to make them into a meal. This one goes particularly well with chicken:

Mixed grain salad with roasted butternut squash

A mixture of grainstry to use at least 3 kinds, of different colors. I use varying combinations of basmati rice, long grain brown rice*, barley, bulgar (tabuleh), quinoa, wild rice, millet, and sometimes, to lighten the texture, I add couscous.

Onions, celery, carrots-chopped

Green peas (frozen are fineif you have fresh, blanch them first)

Roasted butternut squash cubes**

Cranberry vinaigrette***

Chopped parsley & green onions

Chopped, toasted nuts (I like pecans or hazelnuts)

Cook grain selections separately, according to directions, but remember that they will absorb dressing and soften, so a bit al dente is better than over cooked.

Saute onions, celery, carrots until tender, but not too soft. Toss with grains, parsley, green onions and vinaigrette. Gently fold butternut squash cubes in.

*Short grain rices are too sticky for this dish, in my opinion.

**Roasted butternut squash. Peel squash. Cut into ½ inch cubes. toss in olive oil and roast in the oven, checking frequently until just cooked, but not mushy. If it doesnt brown at all, pass under a broiler after cooking just to brown the edges a bit.

***Cranberry vinaigrette. Make a basic vinaigrette with olive oil, red wine or champagne vinegar, garlic & onion powders, salt & pepper. Put the vinaigrette in a blender with about 3/4 Tablespoon dried cranberries per cup vinaigrette, and puree until smooth. Then, add about a quarter cup of dried cranberries for every cup vinaigrette, and pulse blender until cranberries are chopped, but not pureed. Let vinaigrette sit over night.

Before tossing the grain salad in the dressing, taste the vinaigrette for sweetness and add a bit of sugar if need be. It shouldnt be too tart or too sweet.

Sprinkle the toasted chopped nuts on top and garnish with sprigs of parsley, green onion tassels or carrot curls and a few whole dried cranberries.

• katefisher
    14 years ago

I have not read the above completely but I often make Chicken Pot Pie with leftovers like that. Yum.

Kate

• User
    14 years ago

I like to use leftover chicken breast to make Toasted Club House Sandwiches or hot chicken sandwiches. I usually have leftover chicken gravy in the freezer which comes in handy if I buy a rotisserie chicken.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Gina, how dare you say you make a killer chicken salad but don't have the recipe! Don't you know I'm a chicken salad conniseur!?! Come on figure out the amounts and tell all.

Beverly

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Heh-heh! Honestly Beverly I wing it every time. I just put in what I have. I don't measure how much chicken, apple, etc. Even with recipes I don't measure. Last time I made it, about 2 weeks ago, I didn't have onion so no onion went in, and I lined pita halves with mixed greens and stuffed the chicken salad mixture into them for work lunch.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Here is one I made recently but since I had no rotisserie chicken I poached up a couple of breasts. It was quite good, even Tim (the picky one) liked it !

Cashew Chicken Salad With Mandarin Oranges
    Cooking Light August 2004

3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
    3 cups shredded rotisserie cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
    1/2 cup chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons chopped roasted cashews
    1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained

Combine first 6 ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine lettuce and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.

Linda

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I've never purchased one of those chickens to date...they sure do smell and look good though. I like to top a ceasar or garden salad with leftover chicken. Another thing I do is use it in alfredo....not the healthiest dinner but still good.

David

• shaun
    14 years ago

Don't forget to make chicken soup with the carcass! It's fab!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

David, that's just bizarre! How can you resist buying something that looks and smells so good? And is a grocery icon...
    You need to get one just for the joy of eating all the skin then wondering what to do with the chicken- why I don't buy them very often.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and recipes! I love it!

David, go get one, you'll love it. I, too, resisted for a long time but I finally succumbed! They are really good.

I do make broth from the bones, a trick I learned here! It's wonderful.

I will re-read over all the ideas and make SOMETHING tomorrow night. But please post more if you have em! :)

• lov2garden
    14 years ago

Buffalo Chicken Salad: Adjust ingredients to your taste

picked over Rotisserie Chicken
    chopped onion & chopped celery
    shredded cheese (your choice)
    Franks Sweet Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce (just to moisten!)
    salt & pepper to taste

Combine and serve. Makes great sandwiches, pita, scoops, filling for crisped taco shells or for wraps.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I always make a broth from the bones and skin too. After it's picked over, all congealed juices, everything, go in a small pot with enough water to barely cover to simmer for several hours. It does make a nice couple cups of broth which is a beautiful nutty color.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Here's one way that I have used up a chicken breast.
    If the breast is already cooked, then cook onion in step 2 and add chicken pieces to onion in pan to warm them.

Chicken & Chunky Pesto on Whole Wheat Spaghetti

I made the pesto

(the yellow one at left) rather than the food processor as it was such a small amount and it turned out lovely and chunky.
    Here's the recipe as I made it for the two of us, using half of my usual pesto recipe:

1 chicken breast cut into bite sized strips
    1 small onion - sliced
    2 portions of whole wheat spaghetti
    1/4 teasp sweet smoked Spanish paprika (optional)
    olive oil for cooking

Pesto - this is the halved version:

2 cloves of garlic - minced
    1 cup of loosely packed basil leaves - chopped
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup grated parmesan
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1/2 teasp water

1. Put a large lidded pot of salted water on to boil for the spaghetti.

2. Prepare chicken and put into a small frying pan with onion and a bit of oil.
    Saute until cooked, turning and shaking pan.....about 12 minutes or until chicken pieces are cooked and all is lightly browned.
    Sprinkle with paprika and stir. Put on lid and keep warm while preparing the rest.

3. Meanwhile put in a ceramic mortar the salt, pepper, minced garlic and a few drops of the measured oil.
    Pound to a medium paste and add pine nuts, pounding some more, then add the chopped basil leaves, grated parmesan and some more of the oil.
    Continue grinding to a paste then add the rest of the olive oil. If it looks a little dry, add a few drops of water, up to 1/2 a teaspoon.

4. Boil the spaghetti 12 minutes or according to package. Drain and return to pan. Scoop out the pesto with a spoon and spatula and
    stir it into the spaghetti, mixing well. Serve on heated plates or platter and top with the chicken-onion mixture.
    Garnish with a sprig of basil and pass around the block of parmesan with a grater.

SharonCb

• lyndaluu2
    14 years ago

Oh Man!!!!
    We love the convenience of the rotisserie chickens.
    I will be keeping all these recipes.
    Lou you must try these chickens...we don't eat the skin but it looks very good. LOL
    The chicken is moist and succulent.
    It can be used in any recipe.
    Linda

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I've always wondered how they cooked the rotisserie chickens so moist, I have a suspicion they inject them with something.
    I still buy them occasionally but I do wonder about extra ingredients that add fat.

• efayedixon_aol_com
    12 years ago

I use rotisserie chicken for Quesadillas.
    Mix together
    2cups chicken chopped
    2cups thick and chunky salsa
    Spray 8" tortilla shell, place sprayed side down in skillet,top with mixture and handful of taco shredded cheese spray another shell and place on top sprayed side up. flip when shell starts to brown and cheese melts. Serve with sour cream and more salsa.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!