SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaib_gw

Remodel/Upgrade HVAC - Tiger, please help

kaib
13 years ago

I've studied here for two years and still need help (or hand holding). Oklahoma remodel, 1750 sqft ranch adding 1,000 sqft, reinsulating, new windows and doors, roof and all. All will be done to tighten up the house. No problems there.

The current 3 ton HP/handler have done an admirable job in the leaky house with aluminum windows - but we do have hot/cold spots, and I know the central return grill is undersized. Duct work in the attic is well insulated, does not leak and is all metal.

Friend HVAC guy likes the idea of replacing the current HP/handler with a 3 ton XL15i and VS handler w/ Tiger D. approved thermostat, cleaning up the duct work to resolve distribution issues and increasing the return. We would then use 12kBTU mini splits in each of the two big additions.

I really like the idea, but my only issue with the ductless units is condensate lines - a hassle no matter how I look at it - plus the extra outdoor units and lines.

The other "sharp" HVAC guy has done a knockout job of sizing and measuring, running software and all of the impressive stuff we know now to expect of a contractor. Comes up with 4 tons for the entire house (I agree), but...

...after all this, he offers up a XL15i 4TWX5048 mated with a 4TEE3F65 (he knew I don't need the tax credit), an 802 stat, no modification of the existing supply issues, expects me to modify the handler cabinet and wants to run one flexduct to each of the additions - off of a supply trunk which has supply issues anyway. Oh yeah, I offered up to do his electric also.

Wants $9,300 to do that.

I'm tired of beating contractors up. Help.

Comments (3)