SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithnights

Please help with builder's proposed HVAC setup?

lithnights
10 years ago

I am building a 3250 sq ft house in SE PA. There is no gas line. There is a propane tank. I told the builder months ago, I wanted a heat pump with electric backup, rather than the propane furnace he suggested. Propane around here is insanely expensive. I'm trying to make the house as tight as possible..2x6 framing, Andersen 200 windows, R50 in attic etc. I am also thinking of doing 2" of spray foam but still waiting on a price from the builder.

I am installing an efficient woodburning fireplace (and a dedicated duct to push it to the other side of the 1st floor), and hope to use this for most of my heating needs. I know someone who has the same unit and similar sized house and has had success.

Last month, I asked the builder for a Manual J so I could start analyzing and thinking about what kind of HVAC setup I wanted. He never provided it.

Last week, I met with the HVAC guy and builder for the 1st time, and was told they were doing a single 5 ton 13 SEER, 95% unit. I expressed concern about why not a 2 unit (builder had originally said they do 2 units for anything over 3K sq ft), but they said 1 unit would be fine. I'm thinking they're taking the cheap way out. They suggested I do a programmable zoning ($3600 my cost) and strongly suggested AGAINST doing 2 units (quoted me around $6000). I again asked for the manual J and was sent a single page of info. I am attaching.

1. Can someone help me understand what the attached information means as far as what I need for my HVAC?

2. Since the manual J was not based on me doing 2" of sprayfoam, wouldn't that change my HVAC needs? Should it be recalculated?

3. Is a single 5 ton unit my best bet? I'm afraid it will be too much, since I'm likely doing the 2" of sprayfoam.

4. I definitely don't want my upstairs at 80 degrees while my 1st floor is at 75 degrees so am I better off doing a 2 zone setup, or doing 2 units (maybe 2 tons each?).

I feel like I'm being pressured to make a quick decision on this, and have no idea on the best option.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Comments (21)