SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Easy picnic type main dish, not burgers or dogs?

annie1992
12 years ago

OK, Sharon/Chase made me come face to face with the realization that this week is the 4th of July holiday. Amanda usually has a picnic and fireworks, but this year she works. I'm considering asking everyone to come to my house on Sunday for a BBQ and pool party, or see if I can get everyone to go to mother's to play on the pontoon boat.

Anyway, I had knee surgery on the 13th, miniscus repair and something called a "lateral release" to move my kneecap back into the proper position, it was "maltracking" and wearing the knee joint painfully and unevenly. I may have pushed myself a bit hard, as I had surgery Monday at 5 pm, left the hospital, tossed the crutches into the back seat where they stayed for a week, and headed for jackson, 3 hours away. I took Cooper outside, down a set of steps and outside to play fetch Tuesday morning, then took a couple of Tylenol 3 and went to sleep for 5 hours. (grin) Wednesday we went to supper with Elery's Son DIL and grandkids, Thursday we went to Ohio to visit his Dad. Friday we came home and got to Elery's just on time to get a panicked phone call from Ashley who was going into emergency surgery to get her appendix taken out. And yes, she's pregnant, they wanted kids immediately and it appears that they're gonna get them, LOL. Anyway, she was freaked. I went back to work last Monday, and I refused physical therapy since the doc said I was doing "astonishingly well for a woman my age". In other words, I'm not sitting around because I have no one to wait on me, LOL, and the doc says I can do the same exercises at home without paying someone to watch me, if I care to "take responsibility for my own recovery". Yeah, I'm an adult, I can do that.

Elery is working the weekend and I'm not going to be in shape to spend a whole lot of time on my feet grilling stuff or baking for at least another week or two. So.......

I can do burgers and hot dogs, but it's kind of boring. Potato salad can be made mostly sitting down, as can baked beans so I do have my "go-to" dishes. I sugested fajitas but no one really likes them very well except Ashley. No one easts fish other than Amanda, Mother and me. I could do pulled pork, I guess....

And what about dessert, other than buying a gallon of ice cream and offering toppings? Oh, and it's supposed to be in the 90s, so probably not baked for a whole long time. Maybe strawberry shortcakes, with Ann T's chocolate shortcake recipe

I do have some white wine left over from Ashley's wedding reception, so at least there will be Sangria!

Anyway, give me some fast and easy ideas, can you? I'm going to be on my own here, no help, so be gentle. And yes, I'm using disposable plates, just this once.

Annie

Comments (30)