SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

starting to plan an upgrade (long post)

diggerb2
15 years ago

finally i am sick and tired of high utility bills, so its time to do something about heating and cooling.

Our house is a 1923 balloon framed 4-square.

The tax papers say that its 1300 sq feet.

We have a basement, 1st, 2nd floor and full attic(semi finished- basement and attic are not in sq footage)

there was no insulation!!!!

we have gas gravity hot air heat, gas hot water.

no air conditioning

ceiling fans

Our heating season (by my decree) runs, Oct 15th thru April 15th. But in North East Ohio, May 15th to Sept 15th its usually cold enough to turn on the heat sometimes.

so the thermostat gets set to 67 degrees from October to april and then to 62 degrees at other times. I usually

shut the furnace down by shutting off the pilot light on May 15th and then relight when my wife complains to much about the house being cold in September. We also live with 110 degree water during that time too-- and turn it up to 120 during the 'winter'.

We've upgraded our windows, front door, and storm doors

so that there isn't a breeze thru them (when they are closed)like our 1st year here.

In the attic, i've managed to get r-19 worth of insulation in the roof rafter bays. (the floor is finished)

eventually i'd like to have this room be a den/library/craft room-- so more insulation will go in as

we finish the space. Currently when it's below 30 degrees in the winter, and the attic door is open, the attic is

about 50-60 degrees. (you are comfortable in a sweater or fleece to sit and read/watch TV for 2 or 3 hours, but your nose may be cold)

In the basement only the heat radiated by the furnace

warms the space. When its below 0 degrees oustide we need to make sure that warmers are on on the pipes, otherwise

the basement is between 45-50 degrees most of the winter.

we use the basement for storage and laundry. We'd like to put a 3/4 bath down there, but need more heat.

the 1st floor (kitchen, dining, living room)is cool and drafty during the winter (usually about 64 degrees) The bare hardwood floors are cold.

the 2nd is usually toasty warm (70 degrees) although the heat is 'uneven' due to placement of registers.

Our furnace is a monster that appears to be from the

40's or early 50's.

What I want:

1.Air conditioning for the 20 or so days a year that we need it, without the need to lug around window units or the expense of a whole house system. We really can live with relief at night when we sleep. The rest of the time a whole house fan would work great. We like to open the windows and breath 'fresh' air.

1. I hate the dustiness of our house. i am sick of dust!!!

2. I hate the unevenness of the heat and the drafts-- the cold air that spills down our stairwell during the winter

flutters a piece of paper. I know this happend because it's cold air sinking and the cold air returns are in the living room and dining room.

3. i hate the cold floors (and carpets don't do enough

to moderate this-- you can still feel the cold.

4. so what do i need to be looking for?

5. would a mixed hot water system solve my problems?

radiant on the first floor, baseboard on the 2nd and in the attic. with a vented gas hot air heater in the basement for when we want the area warmed quickly for a project?

6. Obviously i need to insulate the basement walls. find a spot for a whole house fan. and since we are doing a bathroom remodel next summer i'll have access thru the living room ceiling to install radiant heat there if i want to.

send me your ideas and suggestions, but not a lot of technicals because that will be the next stage.

Thank you for your help

diggerb

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville