SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigyellow_gw

Want to replace a hot water baseboard heat register

bigyellow
16 years ago

Sorry for the length of this, but I want to give us much info as possible

Hi guys. I have a hot water baseboard heater, about six feet long, where almost all of the fins have come off. It is located in the basement. Because of it's condition, in the winter this part of the basement is uncomfortably cold.

I usually try to do most projects in my house myself and am usually successful. My boiler system has four zones, which includes the zone for the hot water for the house.

The first pic is the front of my boiler. {{gwi:1595869}}

The way I see it (and I'm still learning) cold water comes into the heater from pipe 1. The "brain" at point 2 opens up a valve at point 3 (inside the the heater) when the heater is low with hot water. Cold water goes in at point 3 and leaves through pipe 4, loops around the boiler and enters the boiler through pipe 5. From here, the hot water either goes to the three baseboard heating zones (only one is shown, which is pipe 9, because I couldn't fit it all in one picture), or is available to go back to the water heater for hot water to the house via point 6 (where it goes into the heater) and point 7 (where it leaves the heater and goes throughout the house). Quick question. What's 8?

Looking at the side of the boiler, 1 and 2 are the returns for the baseboard heat and 3 is where the cold water from the water heater goes into the boiler. Point 4 is the water feed for the baseboard heaters. I *guess* 5 is what reduces the pressure of the water from regular tap pressure to the pressure for the heating system?

{{gwi:1595870}}

Okay, sorry for this being so long. First off, am I even close to being right? The more I know, the less I have to depend on (and pay for) a plumber. Second, the reason for the post. I need to cut out a register where all of the fins are gone and replace it with a new one. The steps, as I see them, are:

1. Shut off the boiler

2. Close the valve leaving pipe 9, first pic (you can't see the cut off valve in this pic). This is the hot water heat for the basement loop.

3. Close the valve on pipe 1, second pic. This is the return for the hot water heat in the basement.

4. Open up the garden hose valve on pipe 1, second pic and drain out all of the water.

5. Cut out the busted heat register and replace it.

6. Open up the valve on pipe one, second pic and the valve on pipe 9, first pic.

7. Open the garden hose valve on pipe 1, second pic until only water comes out.

That should do it, as I see it. Am I right? I so don't want steps 8 and 9 to be send kids to grandmas and call the plumber! Also, I want to make sure that I don't introduce air into the other zones when doing this. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)