SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boru43

Question About BTU's For a Unit Heater

boru43
14 years ago

Hi All!

I have a garage/ex-living structure that's about 30' x 30', with about a 12' ceiling. It's well-insulated, and I practically live out there during the winter (for my job).

I had an HVAC guy come over to give an estimate, and asked him what size unit heater to get. He said 75,000 to 100,000 BTU, which was right in line with another estimate I had from someone else.

BUT . . . I have a chance to pick up a 200,000 BTU heater for *great* bargain. I know the benefit will be quicker heat and less time with the heater running, but I'm specifically wondering about this: Is it true that this larger heater will require such a huge amount of gas at start-up that it would be terribly inefficient?

Does anyone here know how unit heaters work in general--and if a unit that was (supposedly) over-large would be a relatively minor inefficiency, a significant inefficiency, or a major inefficiency?

Also, are there other factors to think about in going with a 200,000 BTU model, as opposed to a 100,000 BTU model?

Thanks for any replies!

John

Comments (3)