SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesbodell

Creative heating solutions/installation ideas wanted (long)

jamesbodell
15 years ago

I am looking to heat what has proved to be a difficult room. When I rennovated the house, the room did not have enough continuous wall space for a complete perimeter baseboard heat(1st floor over crawlspace).

problem 1. I have two sit-in bay windows. The plumber placed a toe kick heater under each bays. The thought was that one would not burn themselves on the baseboard heat and only a gentle heat would hit your legs when sitting there. The wall is bay, door, bay. We are looking to remove the door, so I am now considering putting baseboard along the length and removing the toe kicks. I thought if I could use standard Big Box Slant fin baseboard and install it in wall, then cover with custom wood trim with a gap under and over, that I might get something closer to what I want. The wood would prevent burns, and installing in-wall would make it less intrusive, lower profile.

problem 2. I want to install built-ins along the length of another wall. This wall has baseboard heat. I do not want to use toe kicks. What are some other solutions for heating with cabinets?

Solutions do not need to be out of box, I am handy and could fabricate something if it makes sense.

There is of course the option to tear up the floor and put in Radiant. But the finished floors are 100 year old pine and not sure they would survive. They are beautiful. Staple up won't work as the subfloor is 3" boards. Yup, 3", it's an old barn.

I also looked at low profile heating element, but they do not produce enought BTU (runtal, etc)

Has anyone seen or done anything different for heat? Please share!

Comments (7)