SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Crown moulding + refrigerators that vent up: Creative solutions?

artemis78
13 years ago

Wondering if anyone has encountered (or better yet, solved!) the dilemma I'm having....

The refrigerator we've picked out vents from the top, as best I can tell. The specs for installation call for leaving a 2" vent between back of the overhead cabinet and the wall, and between the top of the overhead cabinet and the ceiling. The first part is easy; we can get a shallower over-fridge cabinet and pull it out from the wall, leaving plenty of space back there.

But we're planning to run our uppers almost to the ceiling and then fill the remainder of the space with moulding, and I'm not sure how to accommodate a 2" gap there. I've seen pictures of this refrigerator enclosed by cabinetry that runs to the ceiling, so clearly someone has figured out how to do it...just not sure where to start. Or is it sufficient to just leave the space over the refrigerator open behind the cabinet, and then not worry about the moulding? (The total space enclosed by the moulding will be 7.5' wide and between 1' and 2' deep depending on the cabinet; it's 6" high throughout.) We have an old house so I'm sure the moulding won't be tightly sealed to the ceiling, but there won't be any gaps anywhere close to 2"!

How have others dealt with this---or is this the type of thing that's okay to fudge a bit? (I don't want to inadvertently impact the life of the refrigerator, but at the same time I don't want to turn somersaults to make this work if it's not all that important.) Thanks!

Comments (8)