SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Who figured out your kitchen ventilation needs and when?

SparklingWater
11 years ago

I'm posting this on the kitchen forum so as to hear from you great remodelers and experts about planning for kitchen ventilation.

When in your kitchen remodel cycle was the cooking ventilation determined and by whom? Before you ordered cabinets? Sounds like a dumb question, but I'm a tad stumped right now on our old venting and could use a little help.

I've done my crawling around and know I have a 3"x 20" rectangular vertical ventilation up the back interior kitchen wall which makes a 90 degree turn prior to the ceiling and ultimately changes to a 10" round duct run before the 1000 cfm external fan/blower about 20' away. What I don't know is when the rectangles change to circles.

All the pro vent hoods (24" to 27" deep) seem to have a 10" round duct from the top or back of hood itself. None have the 3" x 10" (two were joined in our case) older configuration. I've got this square on the back wall or maybe a large circle from 3" x 10" adaptors, but until things come down I will not know for sure. I posted my specific information on the HVAC forum on a thread "may I close off a 6" duct" btw. In that thread I give the specifics of my over the cooktop ventilation.

I am getting a 36" pro range (96K BTU)and will buy a 1000 to 1200 cfm external fan/blower integrated to the canopy style wall range hood. But I'm seeing 10" circles from pro range hoods, not rectangles

Should I hire an HVAC consultant to come in and look at the decades old ventilation arrangement since it impacts cabinetry placement and order or did you just order your cabinets with your KD knowing this would be determined eventually and wait until the HVAC person your GC got on board to address this issue? Can most kitchen vent hood issues be worked out by licensed HVAC person?

Thank you for any advice and comments. I don't like unknowns, especially when planning a kitchen remodel budget.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hvac thread link:

Comments (4)