SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Tonight?

tinam61
12 years ago

What are your plans for ringing in the new year? Our besties will be here for a meal of appetizers.

Whatever your plans, I hope each of you are able to be with the one(s) you love and good friends. Happy 2012!!

tina

Comments (37)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

DH and I will be playing the night away with our Big Band. I'm thinking at 12:00:01, I'll be counting off Auld Lang Syne!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Cool, Jakabedy!

We will be home. I'll be cooking roast duck with the Brussel sprout recipe posted the other day and some pinot noir.

There is a live Cheap Trick concert broadcast on Sirius Classic Rewind 10-12. They will be doing the entire Dream Police record with a string section. Since we weren't able to catch any of those tour dates, that'll work for us!

• Related Discussions

Hurrying up a too-slow pot roast for TONIGHT’S dinner?

Q

Comments (5)
    I was going to suggest the pressure cooker. Without a manual, you can still get some good info online. I've included links below to the two most popular sources for pressure cooker recipes. Also, you could search online for the manual that accompanies your particular cooker. Once you get a general recipe for a pot roast that's about the weight of your cut of meat, you'll know how much liquid is needed and how long to cook it. Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Recipes Lorna Sass Recipes
    ...See More

I went to eat at Cracker Barrel for dinner tonight

Q

Comments (46)
    We have a CB in town and it is right off the interstate exit. I think that's where most of their traffic comes from. We tried it a few years ago for breakfast. First time we ever had grits and didn't enjoy them at all. The whole meal was blah though. We rarely go out for breakfast because its pretty gross to try and eat when people have their morning grossness. Excessive coughing and hacking and mainly, the nose clearing. Sucking their mucus back in through the nose, gag! My husband makes breakfast at our house and serves a variety of food, all delicious! We rarely go out to eat and have not sat in a restaurant since the initial lockdown back in March 2020. We get take away a few times a month, but try and use local restaurants.
    ...See More

I just had my first Japanese language lesson tonight

Q

Comments (16)
    I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and being painfully shy, I didn't do too good. I still don't know why I took 3 years of it. I do still know words and some phrases but can't speak to someone using it. My second attempt at a foreign language was in Germany. I only took one semester because whenever I went out in the community the Germans I ran into would just start speaking English to me, so I gave up. There were also TDYs we had multiple times a year so that deterred me from signing up for classes. I remember some German. Not much, though. My kids are better at learning languages than I am. They both took French in high school. Then my son learned Japanese from watching Japanese tv shows and movies. Both took Japanese in college. My son also knows Russian. He listens to a lot of non English singers/bands too. I'll try Duolingo. Thanks for the recommendation! My teacher is teaching me to write also. I can write my name. She also sent me an app to practice my writing. I wasn't planning on doing the writing part, but I'm just going with it. Good for the old brain cells, right? My son gave me his old textbook but I can't find it. Not sure if I gave it back or not.
    ...See More

It's a party tonight

Q

Comments (10)
    The Clarks Pest guy is here right now at my house making the rounds. A couple of years ago I could not get rid of ants for long, they always came back, Terro or no. So I pay for the guy and haven't had a single ant since.
    ...See More
  • golddust
    12 years ago

Grilled Filet Minion here. Also trying the Brussel recipe tonight!

• kimberlyrkb
    12 years ago

Absolutely, gloriously nothing! Well, we're going out for an early dinner and then coming home to watch a couple of movies. Like I said, nothing! :)

• polly929
    12 years ago

This is the first year ever in as long as I can remember that I'm off from work at the hospital and home with my family.

I switched a shift with someone that allowed me to be off. I had a dreadful night at work last night, and although dreadful for me, the reality is this was someone else's sad story that they will live with for the rest of their life.

I came home this morning to my 3 beautiful healthy children who enveloped me with hugs and kisses, and I plan on doing the same when the ball drops at midnight. We will be at my sister in law's house and the kids are thrilled to finally be able to see that infamous ball drop and spend the holiday with their cousins. And of course a glass of bubbly with DH ;)

Happy New Year to All.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Dinner at home with DH. We'll start off with champagne and American caviar w/ toast points and shrimp cocktail. Dinner itself will start with a salad, probably just a simple one; romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, avocado--if I add anything else, it'll be a last minute decision. We'll have some bread with oil for dipping. Main course will be "Lobster Steak" a la, David Burke's Townhouse restaurant in NYC (recipe thanks to Wine Spectator and Food Republic online), sauteed Brussels sprouts, some sort of potato (ooh, maybe homemade fries....?), and for dessert, chocolate creme brulee.

If we finish up early enough and don't lollygag with clean-up (!), we'll watch a dvd in the family room by our new gas fp insert and switch over to the ball drop at midnight.

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

• goldgirl
    12 years ago

We're spending the evening with the couple next door (the same ones I wrote about in the ATV thread ;), her mom, who we always enjoy visiting with at the holidays, and their kids. Probably a night of movies and games, which suits us just fine.

She's making lasagna and we're bringing the vino!

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

Cozied up with DH in front of the fireplace, maybe a movie or two. Cooper and Bailey curled up at our feet.
    Happy New Year to all!

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

Going over to DS and DIL with my DB and his wife. They're roasting a brisket in their outside pizza oven, then fixing pizza.

I'm taking crab bundles, ham, cheese and spinach spirals and my cream puffs as my contribution.

Happy New Year everyone.

Dee

• folkvictorian
    12 years ago

A quiet evening is in store for us! DH is ice fishing, so DS (5) and I will be ringing in the new year with sparkling glasses of 7-Up at 8:00 PM and then it's Thomas the Tank Engine pajamas and bedtime. Wahoo! Happy 2012 to you all!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

We were going to spend it with a group of friends that we have known for 35 years and we usually spend New Years with them. But this year I have come down with a wicked cold and one of the friends has cancer and right now during her treatment can't get sick so I will be at home. DH may stop by and say hi. I don't mind not going if it means my friend will stay healthy. But we'll all get together in a couple of weeks and repeat New Years.

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe 2012.

Lynn

• natal
    12 years ago

They're roasting a brisket in their outside pizza oven, then fixing pizza.

Nice!!!

Golddust, you're going to love it. I'm making it again tomorrow.

Happy New Year Y'all!

• User
    12 years ago

We will be at home together. I cleaned the gutters and the exterior of the skylights today and then DH helped me do the inside of all the skylights...how do you say 12ft ladder..

We have a lovely 2008 Willamette Valley Pinot and 2 strip steaks that will be grilled. We are having home made polenta with sauteed mushrooms and a salad of savoy cabbage/red and yellow bell peppers/ carrots /celery /dried cranberries and feta with a lovely vinaigrette that DS1 uses at his restaurant. After you try it you won't use anything else. ( equal parts EVOO/red wine vinegar/real maple syrup )

For dessert we will have fresh fruit...oranges and pineapple and home made Regina Biscotti that DH made yesterday.

Will sit by the fire with our new to us cat, Meatball, and think about how this year has gone and say a thank you that things are as good as they are for us and our family. We have much to be grateful for.

I wish each of you a peaceful New Year. c

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Folkvictorian, yours sounds like the best of all! I miss those days-they are such treasures.

We went to a movie with our son's sweetie this afternoon since he was working (so glad he found a job) and now we are in for the evening. Something with shrimp and glasses of sparkling lemonade. I do miss my champagne, but prefer my sober DH! We also have the grandpup here, so the kids don't need to worry about leaving him alone for too long. I may even be in my jammies by 8:00! Heavenly.

I wish you all the happiest of new years! Cheers!

• teacats
    12 years ago

Going to a small but wonderful local restaurant in Addison for seafood ... eat amd then at midnight they push back the tables, put on music and we dance til we drop! :) Been there many times for the New Year!

Then home ... and hopefully our next door neighbour will First-Foot our home tomorrow -- for luck in the coming year! :)

Happiest 2012 to All!

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Quiet evening at home with our two boys. Escargot appetizers, followed by fillet mignon with bearnaise sauce, stuffed mushrooms and sourdough bread. We'll continue with our annual tradition of having each member of the family list their personal bests in 2011, a sincere and heartfelt compliment for everyone else in the family, a resolution for next year, and maybe a few other topics. We always have a lovely time --

Then tomorrow, down comes Christmas!

• User
    12 years ago

Heading to the in laws for some grub, then home to watch a movie.

Hope everyone has a nice night!

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Dang, I wish I could hang out with you all! We're grilling up a couple of sirloin steaks and may have a soak in the hot tub, but knowing DH he'll be in bed well before 10, so it'll be just me and the dogs. We forgot to get tranquilizers for our one dog, so I'll probably spend most of the night trying to sooth her when the fireworks are going off.

We have never done anything special for NYE. I kind of miss it, but then, as my girlfriend says, why would you want to start the new year off with a headache from drinking too much wine and staying up too late? Gads, we're old!

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

Making veggie fajitas for dinner. A Christmas Bird Count tomorrow so early to bed and early to rise. Exciting, eh?

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

teacats- First-Foot? enquiring mind wants to know.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Just DH & me. Late dinner. We're having crabcakes, an asian slaw recipe I've had for years and sugar snap peas. Earlier in the day I put together some simple hors d' oeuvres to snack on early in the evening.

Probably will watch a movie, and if we are still awake a midnight, we'll watch the ball drop. However, the last couple of years we've fallen asleep before the ball dropped, so it is unlikely that we will be awake, lol.

Happy New Year to everyone on GW!

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Will be spending the New Year with DD/DH, his Mom, and my son. DD will be making Salmon, creamed potatoes, and asparagus, with all the leftover sweets we didn't eat at Christmas. Of course a few bottles of wine, and maybe a couple of Margaritas~~should get a good night sleep.

A blessed New Year to all of you and all the best in 2012. ;o)

• peytonroad
    12 years ago

I might be eating popcorn...

• User
    12 years ago

Listening to the AU vs VA Chick fil A bowl...so far we are on it ! But given our terrible year and loss of coaches we could do anything in the 2nd half. War Eagle ! c

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Dinner at home, watching football. I am on crutches, so not getting out much these days.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Coop: Very old Scots tradition for Hogmany or New Years Eve ... a dark haired man who is a stranger to your household must be the first to cross the threshold for the New Year. He brings coal, whiskey, bread (some other traditions hold that he brings salt and sugar etc.) and wishes the household all the best for the year ahead! In return, he is given a dram of the guid (good) Scotch. In many villages -- gangs of young men would gather behind a dark-haired laddie who would be sent to knock on the door -- and of course -- guid hospitality brings them all food and drink! Those were called "First Footing" parties!

Over the years -- there have been some hilarious situations as my dad and mum tried to keep this tradition .... scooting bewildered guests around the house to sneak them in the back door etc. ......

And we have had some fun explaining to neighbours over the years so that we can find our "dark-haired man" ..... especially here in Texas! LOL! :)

• User
    12 years ago

Hubby is reading and I'm on my Kindle with a cat on my lap. It's not quite 9:00 and I'm ready for bed. Have been painting the den all day and am thoroughly exhausted. Wishing you all a happy 2012!

• User
    12 years ago

Hubby is reading and I'm on my Kindle with a cat on my lap. It's not quite 9:00 and I'm ready for bed. Have been painting the den all day and am thoroughly exhausted. Wishing you all a happy 2012!

• User
    12 years ago

And apparently my Kindle is possessed ...

• User
    12 years ago

Home with DH and DS. Watching the Knicks right now. We will watch the ball drop at midnight, and my DD always calls just after midnight. I LOVE that she calls me every year just a minute or two after midnight. She's 25 years old and she's been doing it since she went to college.

We usually go to a neighbor's house for NYE but they didn't do it this year. Her mom died a few months ago and I think she is understandably not in a partying mood. I noticed they didn't put their Christmas tree up this year either.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2012!

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

In my cotton nightgown-husband is already asleep, he was out canoeing all day. Daughter has a friend spending the night, son works till 11 pm then is going to a party and staying at a friend's house. This is a major relief, as I do NOT like anyone I care about being out on the roads on New Year's...there are way, way too many nuts driving on a normal Miami night, much less a party weekend like this!

I had a quiet day, cleaned the house and my MIL brought over homemade chowder. We ate together then watched some of the transferred video-to-DVD of way old family days.

And I'll be popping into bed soon to read for awhile then go to sleep. Big party night-not! :).

Ann

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Well, the lobster steaks came out pretty well--but boy are they rich! Lots o' butter in them thar steak thingies!

Going to watch a movie (or part of one), maybe break for dessert, the ball drop and then Zzzzzzzzz.....!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

We stopped going out a few years ago. We're afraid of the roads out here in the country with the teen drivers. lol.

We watched bowl games. DH was up until 2 playing his new toy, I ate more bon-bons while playing on the iPad. But dang we forgot to drink the wine! Truth be told, I don't like the taste of alcohol and how it slows me down, so it was no biggie.

Our big meal is today. Ham, brussel sprouts, BLACK EYED PEAS. Yeah, I bought some. It will still be a weird day for me.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Well,as the old saying goes about "The best laid plans"!(Sigh!) For me, these last two days have been a nightmare. I awoke around 5AM Saturday with a toothache. It got progressively worse during the next couple hours until I was in agony. Of course, being the start of a holiday weekend, my dentist and everybody else was off. Thank goodness DH is a family practice doc as he started me on antibiotics right away. Pain meds, too, although it took quite a while to find ones that worked for me. Between those and sleeping pills, I've spent the weekend partially zonked out and miserable.

As a Christmas gift, we had live lobsters flown in from Maine for NYE dinner. We also had filet mignon, Caesar salad, a really nice bottle of wine, dessert and champagne for midnight. But, I got numbed up enough to eat, but lost my ability to taste much (LOL!). What a waste for me and it sadly put a real damper on the evening for DH and DD.

I went to bed right after that and DH & DD woke me at 11:58PM with a kiss and a sip of champagne with them to ring in the New Year.

It's Monday morning now. I've been up because the pain is back since 5AM. Am waiting for a return call from my endodontist. Hopefully they can fit me in this morning because it's obvious I need a root canal. Thank goodness the endo guy I use is an angel who has never ever hurt me doing these. So, I'm not nervous, just very anxious to have it done weth and be pain free again.

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Oh, Lynn hope you are feeling better by now!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Thank you, Texanjana! I'm, thankfully, feeling much better today but still mourning my wasted long holiday weekend with DH and DD . . . and my wasted NYE dinner (LOL!).
    Lynn

• User
    12 years ago

Glad you're feeling better, Lynn. Toothaches are the worst!

I know what you mean about wasted long weekend. I've been off work since Christmas weekend. Go back tomorrow. First, DS was sick (missed 1/2 week of school week before xmas). Then I got sick over xmas weekend. DH got sick end of last week and still is not feeling well. Just a bad cold, but a really bad one. Really knocks you out for days.

So, someone was sick my entire vacation. Not fun! We don't celebrate xmas, so that's not that big a deal. We unusually didn't have plans for NYE (just DS, DH and I hanging at home). But, we did have a party to go to New Years Day that we didn't get to go to.

Oh, well, I will look forward to spring break!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH