SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonny300

Talking payback-so maybe right post?

sonny300
16 years ago

Many months ago some of you advised me not to bother replacing my old American Standard Boiler. Because at the sweet age of (61) you astutley pointed out that I would never recoup the savings. And I agree. Thanks to the help of a doorway fan, we are predominantly heating with wood. Man, it does push that nice warm air upstairs. "and real nice heat". My old fireplace insert is 23 years old, and burns about 4.5 cords a year. A new EPA certified one would burn 20% less. And only cost $2400 installed. I have already done everything else for code. Like stainless liner etc. My thinking is -nice heat, not getting any younger, enviromently friendly, carbon neutral. Yea, guys, I have calculated that saving $160 annualy would take 15 years for (payback). So my question for you techs, is-wouldnt this be a good idea? Less labour for me, and only one-quarter the cost of a new boiler. Please dont ask me to post on the fireplace forum. Just wondering if I am going down the right road? Don`t forget that bucking and splitting that wood is fairly decent exercise.lol But doing 20% less is also kinda sweet. Your thoughts please. And you know my old boiler is serviced annualy, and has hardly ever failed. Also, my other backup is a propane insert. We live in the PNW where it doesn`t often go below freezing, and when it does, yep, I have to kick the boiler in to raise the temp to 70f,but after that is attained, the fireplace maintains the temp. So oil consumption is only approx 100 gallons a year. Propane consumption is 60 gallons a year. and of course 4.5 cords of wood. My "gut feeling " is to go for the new fireplace. Opinions please.

Comments (4)