SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sshrivastava

Do 'green' detergents facilitate mold?

sshrivastava
16 years ago

It seems like a silly question, but 6 months after I switched to Bi-O-Kleen Premium powder I am experiencing mold issues in my Asko. I am very happy with the performance of Bi-O-Kleen -- it cleans better than Tide HE -- but over the last couple of months my clothes have been coming out smelling musty after washing in temps of 85ðF or 105ðF. 120ðF and above there are no issues, clothes smell fine.

I removed the detergent drawer and found mold growth towards the back, and sprayed it down with Tilex. I also ran an empty wash load at 205ðF with Cascade dishwashing powder to give the unit a good scrub -- hopefully this will do the trick.

In the four years I've owned this machine, I've NEVER had musty smells or mold issues, and what makes it even stranger is that I now live in Arizona which is extremely dry (less than 10% humidity). The only thing that's changes is my choice of detergent -- I've gone from commercial brands (Tide and Cheer) to a green detergent (Bi-O-Kleen) in a very low 1 TBS dose.

Could this be the cause of the mold?

Comments (15)