SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Sealing and insulating attic problem solved

goodbyekitty
13 years ago

Countryboymo; so anyway I called the owner of the company. Told him that I was not happy with what his contractor told me; that sealing wasn't necessary and the insulation that covered any gaps or holes was enough. The dude even told me I didn't need to wrap my water pipes because the insulation was going to cover it. Ok, whatever.

I told the owner whenever I make a big purchase like this I always research on the internet. I said "Your contractor even has the Energy Star Homes emblem on his bid and he told me that I didn't need to seal my attic" I went to the Energy Star website and guess what? It says I need to seal my attic (also, my whole home too but for now just the attic). I said I didn't feel right about verbally accepting his bid after what I found out.

The owner was apologetic (but really didn't let me loose of my verbal agreement)said he would take care of it and later the contractor called and quoted me a price of $322 for a 2300 sq ft home. I went ahead and accepted, I just want this to be done and over with.

I already got 3 bids for insulating the whole house and their company came in the lowest. I really wasn't looking for the lowest but I liked what I saw on paper regarding adding R30 to what I already have R19. The other bids said they were only going to add up to R39. So they would have cost even more over all.

Ok, well thanks for pushing me to do this right. I just hope the owner sends someone to check his work =)

Comment