SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosesr4me_gw

Attic Improvement - insulation, pests, venting, etc.

rosesr4me
13 years ago

I am in the midst of a total attic improvement job in my 1936 house: caulked all openings in the ceiling to minimize energy loss; removed old fiberglass insulation in the attic around the perimeter walls; treated all attic rafters, joints, gables, etc. with Bora Care; sealed all openings to prevent rat entry using hardware cloth or plywood; and installed 20 gauge mesh screening on the gable vents and ridge vents to prevent drywood termite entry.

Couple of questions...

1. Have had extensive rat and termite problems. Existing insulation (some put down in the 90's with some original - 1940's - 1950's?) between the joists is full of feces, tunnels, etc.

Should I remove all insulation and replace?

Probability of the old fiberglass having abestos?

Is blown cellulose more enticing to rats or termites? (Even though I think I found all rat entry points, it is an old house with other possible cracks and crevices). I was considering cellulose because of it's air sealing ability over fiberglass. I have no insulation in the walls.

2. My ceilings are plaster board. I have found rat urine stains on the board after remvoing some of the fiberglass. Do I need to clean these areas - and if so, with what??

3. For all electrical connections between and on top of the joists (junction boxes, ceiling fans, lights, etc.) - is it ok if the insulation abuts/covers the connection? I have no can fixtures - just regular ceiling boxes.

4. My 1200 sf Florida house has 3 large 3x5 foot gable vents with ridge vents on the newer roof. No soffit vents.

Would installing soffit vents be beneficial or are the gable vents sufficient?

I am considering installing radiant foil stapled between the rafters a few inches from the decking (not on top of the rafters nor up against the decking). Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any help on my questions. This job, like others in an old house, has ballooned to a much larger magnitude than expected!

Comments (3)