SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Questions about attic & insulation

lucas_tx_gw
9 years ago

1980's era house. Blown in FG insulation which at this point is pretty packed down and very nasty. We had to pull the ceiling in one area for a bath remodel and when it's repaired are considering having all the old installation removed and the entire attic reblown.

My question is about the attic ventilation. The house originally had gables but at some point was reroofed and a ridge vent added but the gables were left intact (open). It's hard to tell how open the soffits are as it's a pretty low pitch roof and you can't see them well over the insulation plus the house has had an addition and the roofline is a little crazy in a couple of places. I guess if we get the old insulation removed we might be better able to see how the soffits look.

It's in the Dallas area, so hot and relatively humid.

Any advice on how what to do with the attic? I know you aren't supposed to have gables and a ridge vent, is it worth trying to close the gables? Is a radiant barrier a worthwhile option?

We didn't really plan to completely redo the attic but if we are going to have it reblown, it seems worth looking at what else could be done to improve things.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (29)