SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Question on attic insulation

lesliew
17 years ago

Our expanded ranch has a second floor with two bedrooms and one bath, and a door leading into the unfinished part of the attic. Basically, the entire second floor started as attic. In this unfinished area, we have two mammoth air handlers for the central AC/Heat. The old insulation is, at this point, coming apart, the paper which once encased it is torn and shredded. The walls, to some degree, are insulated, and the crawl space over the first floor bedroom wing, which has one of the handlers, has the areas between the beams on the floor stuffed with the insulation. The main part of this space, which has the larger air handler, has a wood floor, and I do not know what the insulation is like underneath - it is over a first floor bedroom and part of the hall.

There have been issues with the attic and roof, mainly ice dams from an attic which is too warm ( in this 10 degree weather right now, the unfinished attic is still reading in the 50s). Partly due to heat rising from the house, and probably heat emanating from the air handlers themselves (this is a hydro system, so there is circulating water), we have tried to address issues such as ventilation - we have two large gable vents, and a ridge vent, but no soffit vents. As much as the roofer would have liked to bring the temp in the attic down to keep the roof cold, the HVAC guy worries about the temp going low enough to cause a problem with the heating units. There is also the issue of extrtemely cold air coming right through the door which separates the second floor living area from this unfinished space.

We just did a new roof, bringing the shield down onto the soffit, to prevent water backup from any future ice dams. I have had a contractor in about the insulation. The fiberglass filaments have, to a small degree, been entering the living space in the house, mostly, I think, through the high hat lighting in a couple of the rooms. For all I know, some of it is being carried in the ducts, despite the fact that the HVAC guy says it is not. He feels the vibration from the units causes the loose particles to float somewhat, and then fall through openings in the floor.

I thought I remembered reading that the unfinished pitched ceiling in an unfinished attic should not be insulated. I want to do my research before I let this guy do anything.

I need the help of you experts to tell me the proper way to insulate this attic. If necessary, I can post photos.

Comment