SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackcal

Another Attic Insulation Question & Help

jackcal
13 years ago

Just purchased a 1951 brick rambler in the northern Virginia area. It is about 1,500 sq ft up and another 1,500 sq ft down in a fully finished basement. Need some help in deciding the route to take on adding insulation keeping in mind I want to do the work myself.

The upstairs attic with 1x6 inch flooring over the entire space is completely floored and usable as attic storage. Pulling up some of the flooring after noticing some cold rooms, I found that all of the attic flooring is sitting on 2x8 inch ceiling joists 16 inches on center above downstairs ceiling plaster/some drywall. The sad thing is that there is only about 2 or 3 inches of blown insulation between most of the joists. Over quite a few places in the house, mostly over new bathrooms and bedroom additions, there is ZERO insulation at all.

So there is some blown at no more than 3 inches in height and some areas with nothing between downstairs and attic other than drywall.

I would like to be able to keep most of the attic as storage. This is one of the real nice things about this house. But I want to add insulation and can't decide on which R-factor to go with when I get started.

Ripping up the floor in sections is easy enough and I was hoping to do the attic in sections. Add insulation and then place the flooring back in place and move on to another section. This will allow me not to have to empty out the attic too.

So, after pulling floor boards and opening up to the 8 inch high joists on 16 inch center, I know I could easily add unfaced R-19 which is about 6.25 inches thick. That would bring the insulation right to the top of the joists where there is some blown insulation. Other areas where there is none, it would be below about an 1 1/2.

But, I would really like to get the R30 value between the joists and then put the flooring back on but the unfaced R30 is about 9 1/2 inches thick. I put a piece in today to check it out and you can get the flooring to settle down on to the insulation and the joists but is this advisable? Would the compressed R30 wreak havoc on the plaster and drywall ceilings below? I know that insulation works best without the compression but will I be better off with less insulation (R19) and not always filling the joists completely or better of compression the R30 just a bit into the joists?

Batt fiberglass would be easiest since I am doing this in sections but am I just going in the wrong direction and really should be looking at blowing cellulose with a rental unit a couple of different times?

8 inches to the top of the joists of cellulose would be a rating of R29.60 if the R value of 3.70 is correct.

Any thoughts and I really appreciate the advice and help here.

Comments (4)