SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olsonbj

Attic, Insulation, and Top Plate sealing

Bryant Olson
8 years ago

Hi All,

I couldn't find any previous discussions on this EXACT topic so I figured I'd ask to see what the general consensus was. I'm closing on a house in a couple of weeks in Minnesota that I think needs some attention paid to the attic insulation. Currently, there's about 4-6" of loose fill polystyrene(sytrofoam, just to the top of the joists) and NO roof vents. The underside of the roof looks good, no condensation discoloration. In regards to the roof vents, the city inspector said it's fine, and apparently the seller's roof contractor also said it was fine. I'm calling BS but I'd like some other opinions, I was able to get $600 in concessions to add vents/insulation. So with that information, I've got a couple of questions.

1: Roof vents. Do I add them? Get a roofing contractor to look? The soffits are vented.

2: Assuming I add roof vents would I lose insulation value as well? Do I need to up this? Add some more loose blown cellulose over the top? What is adequate R-Value? I know they say R-49 in this area but I've heard that's pretty aggressive. Does it need to be that high?

3: If I am adding insulation, how much value will I get from caulking the top plate? It's pretty labor intensive, from what I hear, will it be necessary if I add the insulation?

4: Would it be worth waiting to see what the utility bills are like? It's a relatively small footprint, 880sq ft foundation.

Thanks!

Bryant

Comment (1)