SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto3kiddos

Insulation of ceiling... Attic already floored, options?

momto3kiddos
11 years ago

We had planned to do blown in fiberglass insulation in our walls, but neither insulation quote I received spec'd the attic insultation. I assumed they were planning blown loose fill fiberglass, but my husband asked that the entire attic be floored, and it has been. They are finishing up framing now, so the attic floor is staying down.

What are my options for insulation at this point? It looks like we could do rolled batts at R-30 or so. The ceiling joists are 2x10. And there is always foam, although the quote for that was higher than we had planned.

Is is possible to do assure-r blown in fiberglass at the ceiling level from underneath? Is foam, sprayed against the attic flooring (osb) stable in the long term, or will it fall onto the ceiling drywall over time?

I am waiting for a call back from the insualation folks I was planning to use, but I would love your help in figuring out my options before I talk to him.

My dad is building this home for us, and he is an experienced contractor. We are just planning to do a few things differently that is standard for him... He would call us "green.". I like to think of it as energy efficient. :). With that said, I am not familiar enough with the entire process to avoid all of the problems like this one. His usual method of insulation for a floored ceiling is rolled batts with the highest r value the space will allow. I am not sure that will meet our goals for this house. He is open to doing things however we would like them.

Perhaps I should add, we are not planning to insulate at the roofline because the house is a large one story home with lots of roof sq ft and all ducts are in the sealed crawl space.

Thanks in advance!

This post was edited by Momto3kiddos on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 21:47

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths