SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_home_gw

Type of spray foam/sealant to be used for air sealing attic

sweet_home
13 years ago

We used an insulation company for air sealing our attic. They removed the existing insulation and did the air sealing yesterday. I had read up about the trouble spots in the attic and a couple of websites had talked using fire blocking material around chimney, flue pipes, recess cans etc. Since the company we hired has been in the insulation business for decades, it didn't occur to me that I should check with the guy about the type of foam he would be using. I assumed that they would do everything according to code and the manufacturer's instructions. When he was done we casually asked him what he did around the chimney and he mentioned that he used the spray foam and showed us what he had used. To our surprise it was a windows/door insulation spray foam(HILTI brand CF 812 Window and Door Pro to be precise). We checked the flue pipes openings and they were covered as well. We immediately asked him to remove it. He had used the same foam everywhere including our 2 chimneys. I am not sure if a windows/door kind of sealant can be used around recessed cans and the exhaust vents. The recessed cans are IC rated though.

Can this type of foam be used all over the attic? May be I am overreacting but wanted to confirm before we blow in the insulation. I am going to ask them to remove the foam around the chimney and use rockwool. But I am not sure about the other places. It would be great if you can share any feedback you have regarding this. Thanks!

Comments (3)