SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giuseppem_gw

Spray Foam in Cathedral Ceiling and Attic Floor Joists question

GiuseppeM
13 years ago

Hi guys, I'm building a new home in Northern Virginia (Zone 4) and the builder just finished to install the windows.

We are now in the Insulation phase, and the builder just told me what the insulation company is planning to do around the home.

I have read a lot of articles on Gardenweb and other websites about Open/Closed Cell and techniques but apparently what they just told me seems to be the opposite of what I found on this site.

This is what they are planning to do:

Exterior walls (2x4): 3 1/2" of Open Cell

Cathedral Ceiling (2x4 roof trusses): 10" of Open Cell with ventilation channels, or sealed with no ventilation

Attic Floor (2x4): 1" of Closed Cell and 10" of Cellulose insulation (my hvac is not in the attic, only the duct runs in the attic)

Basement (poured concrete and 2x4): 3 1/2 Open Cell

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but they really confused me. For what I've read online, it seems that on both Cathedral Ceilings and Basement walls the standard is Closed Cell because it's a vapor barrier, so when I mentioned it they said that I can run a perm test on my basement walls, which I find ridiculous because this is a brand new home, and the moisture level could be different in 5 years from now.

Same with the Cathedral Ceilings, they said that if I Install the ventilation channels I will not have any moisture issues caused by condensation.

I also seriously don't like the idea of having all that blown cellulose in the roof, it's an unfinished space but at the same time I don't want it to be messy, you never know if an animal find its way in there and also the cellulose is not water proof.

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate to have some professional opinion on this!

Thanks!

Comments (6)