SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jono123_gw

Pros/Cons Miele vs HE Top Loaders?

jono123
15 years ago

Hi,

I would like some advice on choosing a Miele over any one of the HE top loaders (or vice versa).

We are depth constrained for our next washer/dryer. Our laundry closet has only 34in of depth which limits the pool of washers/dryers we can look at. After some research, it appears the Miele washer/dryer can be positioned right next to the back wall, with alignment of the exhaust hose which is on the back wall. That would fit. Other front loaders I looked at (namely the Samsung) require up to 5in clearance on the back. That plus their great depth than a top loader make them too deep to fit the closet.

We have a Miele dishwasher and have been pleased with it so far which is why I looked at Miele. The top loader HE machines look good too but there seem to be some quality issues as well and these designs appear to be newer than even front loaders.

I am looking for any pros/cons to consider. Thanks in advance.

Criteria:

Cost is a concern of course but not the primary one. I am okay paying the Miele premium if it has better performance.

I like the idea of saving water so I definitely want something HE. Wash quality is not that important as I am sure a HE top loader wash quality is good enough. My wife usually washes things on cold anyways. Her priority is to be delicate to the clothes vs really sanitized. She does do whites on higher temp.

Noise is a primary concern of mine. Our laundry closet is close to our family room where we watch TV. There are doors to blunt the noise but quieter is better.

The laundry room is ground floor, tile over a cement slab so vibration should not be an issue.

We are a family of only 3 and do maybe 4-5 loads per week, most are not full.

We do not need a lot of cycles or fancy features so mainly, it boils down to quietness, gentleness on clothes and water efficiency (probably in that order).

Given my criteria, does it make sense to spend up on a Miele or would I be happier with a HE top loader?

Comments (9)