SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houscrzy_gw

Raspberry recipes?

houscrzy
14 years ago

My raspberry crop is starting to ripen and it looks like a monster crop--well at least it is for me, the backyard gardener. I picked 1 quart 2 days ago, 2 quarts yesterday and 4 and a half quarts today, and it is early! I'll make a lot of jam, and freeze a lot of the berries, as my kids love smoothies made with raspberries year round. Will definitely make some of the raspberry scones as well. And raspberry vinegar. Do people have other good ideas for me? I'd love some new recipes to try!

Comments (17)

• sushipup1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Raspberry ice cream. Not sherbet, but ice cream. Use a strawberry ice cream recipe, but I love the taste of the raspberries.

• User
    14 years ago
  • Related Discussions

RECIPE: Looking for Frozen Raspberry Desert Recipe

Q

Comments (4)
    Here is the update! I made the recipe with a few changes. My man is diabetic, and I didn't want to load the thing with sugar, so I substituted 1 Cup of Raw Organic Agave Nectar for the 4 C of powdered sugar, and I left out the eggs in the butter mixture. It tasted the same and spread the same. The whole desert was a huge hit with our guests! Delicious!! If I do it again, I'll mix the berries in with half the whipped cream because they become a layer of ice and are hard to slice if you freeze it. Suspended in whipped cream, I think they would cut easier with no change in flavor. I'd top the thing with the other half of whip cream, and then some sliced almonds. You guys should try that recipe! It's deelish! Thanks! Suzi
    ...See More

Chocolate and Raspberry..........

Q

Comments (35)
    Ok, mine are in the oven. Hershey's "special dark" chocolate in place of regular chocolate chips, because that's what I had. About twice as many raspberries because I bought a container at the farmer's market and that's how many there were. I'm at elery's with Mother, tomorrow we're going to the university librry in Bowling Green, Ohio, so she can do her geneology "stuff". If we don't eat them all tonight, they'll be nice waiting for us when we get back tomorrow evening. Annie
    ...See More

Mmmmmm! Chilled Raspberry Soup! (recipe & photo)

Q

Comments (9)
    Y'know, Linda, the cinnamon and the nutmeg were both pretty good on this, but I didn't use a lot. It tasted good, but I think next time, I'll just use a bit of freshly grated nutmeg only. (maybe I had too much cinnamon with the cinnamon buttercream from the other post!) Smiles, Sooz
    ...See More

Black Raspberry jam recipe without pectin?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, This is from The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook by Rachel Saunders 1 lb plus 2 1/2 lbs black raspberries 2 lbs white sugar 5 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice Combine 1 lb of the berries with sugar and lemon juice in a pan. Place the pan over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the juice begins to run from the berries. Increase the heat to high and continue to cook, stirring very frequently, until mixture boils. Boil the mixture vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every few seconds or so. Add the remaining 2 1/2 lbs of berries, stirring well to combine. Over high heat, bring the mixture back up to a boil, cook it for 10 to 12 minutes more, stirring frequently. Begin testing for doneness after 10 minutes. Pour jam into sterilized jars and process according to manufacturers instructions. I recommend the cookbook to anyone who prefers to use pectin free jam. There are only 2 recipes in the cookbook I have found using pectin. A lot of good recipes. There is also good instruction on jam making with lovely photos. She prefers the oven method for processing, which I do not use. All the recipes can be used for the more traditional hot water boiling method. MJ
    ...See More
  • ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

I have made this with fresh raspberries instead of the frozen ones.

CHAMBORD MELBA SAUCE

10 oz. package of frozen raspberries, thawed and mashed
    1/2 cup currant jelly
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cornstarch
    1/4 cup Chambord liqueur
    1/2 tsp. lemon juice

In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, jelly and sugar. Stir over moderate heat until boiling. Whisk in cornstarch and liqueur; then simmer gently for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Strain and chill before serving.

To serve, place fresh, poached or frozen peaches in tall stemmed glasses; add vanilla ice cream and top with melba sauce.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I make raspberry pies and raspberry barvarian and have made jelly. Which do you have black or red? We have been picking too. Ours grow wild in our woods. Quite the job to pick! I have a few red and the rest are black. I like the black the best.

Sue

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

This recipe is from a former CF member who passed away right before I joined. From what I've heard, she was very special. Great muffins!

Marlen's Raspberry Love Muffins
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 heaping cup white chocolate chips
    1 stick softened butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon finely grated orange zest
    1/2 cup milk
    2 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen raspberries
    Sift flour with baking powder and mix in the white chocolate chips; set aside.
    With an electric mixer, beat softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy, add vanilla and orange zest. Mix in dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with milk. Fold in raspberries. Do not overmix.
    Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins.

Lpink's notes: I make these with chocolate chips, and a few less than called for. I also use some whole wheat flour. It's just me, I like things a little less rich. These freeze well.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Ah, Marlen was special, indeed! I have not tried that recipe, Lpink, but I am going to now!

This tart is amazingly delicious!

Raspberry-Lemon Shortbread Tart
    From Every Day with Rachael Ray
    February-March 2006
    8 Servings
    Prep Time: 30 min; Cook Time: 50 min

3 cups frozen raspberries (1 pound)
    1 stick plus 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3 large eggs
    Zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

No need to get out your rolling pin or even grease the pan for this dessert. Just use your fingers to mix the shortbread dough, then dump it straight into a cake pan, press down and bake.

1. Drain the raspberries in a strainer set over a bowl. Preheat the oven to 400. Using your fingers, combine the butter, 1/2 cup of the sugar and 1 1/2 cups of the flour and blend together until coarse crumbs form. Pour the mixture into an ungreased nonstick 9-inch springform or cake pan and press down evenly to form a crust. Bake the shortbread crust until lightly golden, about 20 minutes.

2. Remove the shortbread from the oven and reduce the temperature to 325°. Scatter the drained raspberries evenly over the baked shortbread.

3. Beat the eggs with the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until thick and pale yellow. Whisk in the lemon zest, the lemon juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of flour. Pour the lemon cream over the raspberries and bake the tart until the custard is set, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then dust with confectioners' sugar.

You can replace the raspberries with your favorite fruitÂor even pieces of chocolate. Go all the way and swap a teaspoon of vanilla extract for the lemon juice and zest in the quick custard.

My notes: Based on the mistakes I made the first try...Make sure the berries are thawed and drained well. Don't make the custard while the crust is baking! While the crust is COOLING I made the custard, and then put the berries on the crust just before pouring the custard on top. Baking time was a bit longer than the 30 minutes stated, too.
    Also...I made the shortbread in the food processor rather than using my fingers. Worked perfectly.

Linda

• azzalea
    14 years ago

Check the Pillsbury Bake-off Recipes--there's a good raspberry Truffle Tart (pie crust, chocolate truffle layer, fresh raspberries.)

• lindawisconsin
    14 years ago

You have to try these!

Raspberry Streusel Muffins
    1 dozen muffins
    The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook

Batter:
    1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    1/4 c. sugar
    1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
    2 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. salt
    1 t. cinnamon
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 stick butter, melted
    1/2 c. milk
    1 1/4 c. raspberries
    1 t. grated lemon zest

Streusel Topping:
    1/2 c. chopped pecans
    1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 c. flour
    1 t. cinnamon
    1 t. grated lemon zest
    2 T. butter, melted

Glaze:
    1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
    1 T. fresh lemon juice

Oven at 350. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. Sift the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium size bowl. Make a well in the center.

Place the egg, melted butter and milk in the well. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Quickly stir int he berries and lemin zest. Fill each tin about 3/4 full.

To make the sreusel topping, combine all the ingredients except melted butter in small bowl, pour in the butter and stir to combine. Sprinkle this evenly over the muffins. Bake them until nicely browned and firm for 20-25 minutes.

To make the glaze, mix the sugar and lemon juice til blended and smooth. Drizzle over muffins while warm. Serve the muffins warm.

Another recipe this one is a bit of work but the end product is celestial!

Hall of Fame Raspberry Streusel Tart

Recipe By :Great Pies and Tarts Carole Walter
    Serving Size : 10

6 tablespoons unsalted butter -- streusel
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour -- streusel
    6 tablespoons sugar -- streusel
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon -- streusel
    1/8 teaspoon salt -- streusel
    1 3/4 cups light cream -- custard filling
    1/3 cup sugar -- custard filling
    4 teaspoons cornstarch -- custard filling
    4 egg yolk -- custard filling
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- custard filling
    1 teaspoon vanilla -- custard filling
    1 tablespoon framboise -- custard filling Optional
    1 recipe sweet tart pastry crust
    2/3 cup raspberry preserves -- seedless glaze
    1 tablespoon water
    2 pints fresh raspberries -- glaze
    2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar -- glaze

To make streusel; Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the butter in a medium saucepan and slowly melt. Cool until tepid. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt and add to the melted butter. Toss with a fork until crumbs are formed. Take a clump of the crumb mixture in your hand and squeeze gently to form a larger clump. Then break the larger clump apart, and sprinkle the crumbs onto a large shallow pan. Repeat until all the mixture has been made into crumbs.
    Place the crumbs in the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until they turn light brown. Set aside to cool and harden.

Make the custard: Heat the cream in a 2 quart saucepan until just under the boil.
    Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
    Beat the egg yolks in a medium mixing bowl with a wire whisk until slightly thickened. Whisk in the sugar/cornstarch mixture, then blend in the scalded cream. pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat slowly, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to thicken and comes to a boil. After the custard reaches a boil, simmer about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and framboise. cover with a piece of buttered plastic wrap. Cool about 10 minutes.
    increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees. Spread the sutard in the pastry shell and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from the oven and let it stand on a rack for 10 minutes to set.

Make the glaze;
    Combine the preserves and water in a small saucepan and heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Pass through a fine mesh strainer. Discard pulp.
    Assemble the tart:
    Gently brush the top of the custard with half of the hot preserves. Sprinkle the berries generously over the hot custard. Lightly brush the tops of the berries with the remaining preserves, then sprinkle the tart generously with the streusel, pressing the crumbs gently into the berries so they will adhere. Chill the tart, uncovered, for about 2 hours to set. Just before serving, sift the streusel generously with the confectioner's sugar.

Sweet Tart Pastry

Recipe By :Great Pies and Tarts Carole Walter
    Serving Size : 10
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -- unsifted
    3 tablespoons sugar -- superfine
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup unsalted butter -- cool cut into cubes
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Place flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 3 to 4 times to blend. Distribute the butter around the bowl and pulse 6 to 7 times. Then process for 6 to 8 seconds. The crumbs should be about the size of coarse meal with a few pea-size particles of fat.
    Empty the crumbs onto a cool surface, such as marble or a chiled counter. Form the mixture into a mound. Make a 4 to 5 inch well in the center of the mound. Combine the egg and vanilla, and pour the mixture into the well.
    Using a fork, draw the crumbs into the egg mixture, about 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. When all of the crumbs are added, toss the mixture a few times with a pastry blender to form large clumps, then scrape into a mound.
    Using the heel of your hand, push 2 to 3 tablespoons of the dough at a time, outward in 6 to 8 inch sweeps. This will blend the fat and flour and give the crust a delicate texture. if your hand becomes sticky, flour it as needed. Repeat the process until all of the dough has been worked. Gather the dough into a mound again, then repeat the entire procedure 2 additional times.
    After the third time, flour your hands and gently knead the dough 5 or 6 times to make it smooth. Shape into a 5 inch disk. Dust the disk lightly with flour, score with the side of your hand, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes before shaping. Do not let the dough become too hard or it will be difficult to roll. if it does, let the pastry soften at room temperature.
    Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
    Fit into tart pan. Mold into pan. Chill in refrigerator or freezer for up to 30 minutes.
    Tear an 18 inch square of heavy duty aluminum foil. Make a buttered circle in the center of the foil 2 inches larger than the size of the pan. place the foil buttered side down, centering it into the baking pan. using your hand, press the foil completely flush against the sides.
    Preheat the oven to 425°. Position the shelf in the lower third of the oven. Fill the pan with dried beans.
    Bake the crust for 15 to 18 minutes or until the sides begin to brown. Remove the pan from the oven. Let stand about 30 seconds, the gently remove the foil and the beans.
    Reduce the oven to 375°. Continue to bake the crust for 3 to 5 minutes, or until it is golden brown. if the bottom of the pastry shell puffs up, tap it very gently with the bottom of a fork to expel the air. When the crust is done, cool completely before filling.

Ben & Jerry's Raspberry Sorbet

Serving Size : 6
    12 ounces fresh raspberries
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 lemon juice
    1 cup cold water
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup light corn syrup

Combine raspberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a blender and process briefly. Refrigerate covered at least 1 hour.
    Add the red wine, corn syrup, and water when you are ready to freeze and stir gently until blended.
    Transfer the mixture to the ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

Enjoy!

• houscrzy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I took so long to respond--I posted my question and then went out of town--oops! Yesterday, even though my neighbor had picked berries, I still picked 7 quarts, and then it was too late to log on!

These recipes look delicious! Doucanoe--that shortbread tart looks wonderful! And Lindawisconsin, I have made those muffins and they were delicious--thanks for reminding me! And all of the other recipes look decadent and delicious as well. Now I just need to find some time to bake--right now, all I seem to be able to do is pick them and shove them in the freezer--haven't even made jam yet. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions!

• fooddiva
    14 years ago

How about a nice, cold, refreshing rasberry smoothie/milk shake? When I saw this recipe I was mesmerized!

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Marlen's Love Muffins are like a "scone" in a muffin shape.

We love them here. And when I want something a bit more portable..I make those instead of AnnT's Raspberry Cream Scones.

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting Marlen's Love Muffin recipe Lpink, and Terri thanks for the note that they are like a scone. The batter was much more stiff than a typical muffin batter so I would have worried that I'd done something wrong if it wasn't for that comment. One almost might be able to bake it free form rather than in a muffin pan.

Our raspberries are in their first year so we didn't get much from them this year but our blackberries are starting to ripen. I was worried that they might be too big so I put blackberries in half the batch and sliced up some of our apricots in the other half. And I used chocolate chips because I didn't have white chocolate ones. They definitely deserve the name.

Since the recipe doesn't have eggs, it will be good to make with my grandaughter. We made cookies with her the other day and she really wanted to taste the batter.

• User
    14 years ago

This cake is good. And very simple to make.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Raspberry Cake
    ==============
    Raspberry Cake
    1985 Canadian Living Magazine

1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup sour cream
    1 cup raspberries
    . Heat Oven to 350°F

In a bowl Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt.

In another bowl Beat butter and sugar until creamy and add eggs. Beat
    well.

Add vanilla.

Mix in flour and add sour cream. Fold in Raspberries.

Pour into 9 inch spring form pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until
    done.

• moosemac
    14 years ago

Peche Melba Pizza

Ingredients:
    2 cans of sliced peaches or fresh peach slices from 4 peaches
    2 tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. of vanilla extract
    1/4 cup of superfine sugar
    1 tbs. of cornstarch
    2 12" pizza pans

1 12 oz jar of peach preserves
    1 2 crust pie crust recipe
    2 12 oz. pkgs. of soft cream cheese
    2 lbs. of raspberry preserves, seedless or 2 pints of fresh raspberries crushed and sieved to remove seeds.

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 325.
    Heat raspberry preserves or raspberry juice/pulp in a pan over medium heat, stirring until bubbling.
    Mix lemon juice with cornstarch in a cup until cornstarch is dissolved (add a bit of water if necessary.)
    Slowly add cornstarch mixture to raspberry mixture, stirring constantly. When mixture thickens, remove from stove and cool.
    Drain juice from peach slices and dry on paper towels.
    Mix cream cheese, vanilla & sugar in a separate bowl, until well blended.
    Roll out pie crust to 14" circles.
    Put one crust in each pan & crimp edges.
    Prick crust in several places to prevent bubbling and
    bake 15 minutes.
    Cool pie crusts.

Assembly:
    Spread a thin even layer of cream cheese mixture on top of pie crusts.
    Top cream cheese mixture with a thin layer of raspberry mixture.
    On top of raspberry layer, arrange peach slices in a fan pattern.
    Brush a light coating of peach preserve over peaches.
    Chill 1 hour.

Makes 16 servings

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

This looks divine. And PS, I am sooooo jealous :-)

• julier1234
    14 years ago

Ann - that "simple" cake recipe is divine. Not too sweet at all - just wonderful. What do you serve that with? I served it with vanilla ice cream, but was wondering what you do?

• houscrzy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm definitely salivating to try these--if only this crop might slow down so I actually have time to do something with these berries other than pick them! We've picked between 4 and 8 quarts every day for the last week or so. This having to go to work thing really cuts into my harvest time!
    I'm going to try that granita and the "simple cake" really soon, though. They both don't look too time consuming. Then when this crop slows down, I'll try all of those other great recipes. If anybody has any more, keep them coming--I'm definitely filing these away for (near) future use. Thanks for all of the ideas!