SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenni232323

Need help choosing new heat pump system

jenni232323
13 years ago

Our 19 year old TRANE compressor died last week (3 ton, 10 SEER). We've been getting several quotes for replacement system. In the mean time, we got a 8,000 BTU window unit that's been keeping our main living areas surprisingly cool.

We live in Central FL (Daytona Beach), so mostly use cooling very little heat. Home is 1600 sq. ft. 1 story ranch with 8 ft ceilings, block home built in 1979. We replaced all windows with impact a few months ago. Our electric bill runs around $180 in the summer (not sure on the breakdown on of the kw hours). Local power company pressure tested our ducts and said we have minimal leaks and attic insulation is R-15, we plan to do blown insulation to bump it up to around R-30. Will also add 2 gable vents and solar attic fan once it cools down enough to go in the attic.

Since we already spent our federal tax credit on the windows, we're only eligible for local power company discount (need to get 15 SEER) and mfg discount.

My husband was interested in 2 stage compressor and variable speed (I think that's what it's called) for energy efficiency, but 9 out of 10 estimators said that our ducts would likely sweat and it woulnd't be worth the cost of modifying the ducts and we really wouldn't save the cost difference in 10 years.

The quotes we're looking closer at are:

Our family friend is an AC installer, can get 3 ton 15 SEER

TRANE 4TWR5036 with 4TEH3542 $3702

CARRIER 25HVC536 with FX4DNF037P $3368

Either one he would replace the lines, new drain pan and float, t-stat, heat strip (didn't know if we needed 8kw or 10kw).

We would add the 5 inch MERV 11 whole house filter (Honeywell F100) for $200 and I would likely upgrade the thermostat to programmable since we use our Ritetemp programmable a lot now (or did when AC worked). Any recs on a t-stat for this TRANE or CARRIER?

We trust this guy's expertise the most as we've known him for years and he's done great work for other family members.

We're also looking at:

BRYANT 215B+FX37 Legacy Series $3985, flush lines, adding 1 main return duct and replacing plenum return, spray components with herasite rust inhibitor, 10yr parts, 1yr labor, Lifetime installation warranty, free 6mo check up

CARRIER COMFORT 25HCC536 with FX4DNF037T $4425, new lines, MERV 11 1yr filter, 10yr parts, 1yr labor (add $721 10yr labor) - as I understand this condensor has the same inners as higher models, just powder coated metal case

CARRIER BASE 25HBC536A with FX4DNF037T $4050, new lines, MERV 11 1yr filter, 10yr parts, 1yr labor (add $721 10yr labor) - as I understand this has metal condensor casing base model

The guy that quoted these above 2 CARRIER units also quoted TRANE TWR536 with TEH3F4ZB $4150, but did not recommend TRANE saying they've been having quality issues

The LENNOX guy was most informative, quoted

LENNOX 14HPX-036 with CBX27UH-036 $3936, standard install new lines, hurricane pad, drain pan and float, etc.

AMANA sales guy last night had my husband thinking about Amana. From what I've read, they also make One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating's unit (got a quote from them too $5500! Although he was the only guy that did a load test counting our windows and all, he came up with a 2.5 ton unit) and are made with Goodman, which is a lesser grade product. He quoted AMANA ASZ14 for around $4000 (paper work's not with me right now), 10 year on parts and labor. The 10 year on labor really interested my husband even though we have a friend that's an AC professional.

So, bottom line - does anyone recommend any of these units? Or think we should look into anything different? If we order with our AC friend today or tomorrow, he can install on Saturday, which would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (12)