SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_thornley

What purchases make you feel Good?

Marcia Thornley
14 years ago

I went into the mall today into a quilt & bedding store. I bought an extra quilt for our bed (ON SALE) and they had tea towels on sale CHEAP! I bought myself 12 new ones and put all my old ones in the rag bin and then left two as dog towels. It made me very happy!

DH says small things..........!

But I love buying new towels, bedding etc. Just makes me feel good. What does it for you?

Comments (49)

• susan_on
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You know what? I agree with you. I just replaced a quilt, kitchen towels and bath towels, and it was a great feeling. I should do it more often. I've also been on a kick to buy shoes, because I've always hated buying shoes and I needed to replace a lot of the ones I had.

What I really like to shop for though, are plants and gardening stuff. Those things make me happy.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

Anything that I am needing that I can find at a really good price. Household stuff/furniture mostly, not grocery items. lol

• Related Discussions

Very sweet video - will make you feel good

Q

Comments (3)
    What a wonderful song. They played it when my daughter graduated from third grade, most of the patrents were crying.
    ...See More

Window Replacement -the quote makes me feel ill, do you feel the same?

Q

Comments (73)
    Thanks @todd!! Hopefully the heat buildup won't be an issue. I called up Provia (such nice people) and after describing my set-up and the lack of direct sun, they said it shouldn't be an problem. For issue 2, the window that came was smaller than the exterior rough opening, which leads me to believe it could/should have been bigger. My general contractor had already framed the walls using the original windows as guides, so this smaller window throws everything off. Anyway, they are in now. Have you ever saw drywall put in at an angle, where I'd start it where the wall framing is and angle inward to meet the window frame, or is that a ridiculous thought? The caulking you use sounds more sensible. Alas, that ugly, gloppy white caulking with whatever crap blew by in the wind and stuck to it is in, so I guess I'm going to have to live with it. And the softness of the pine, oh if i knew this, I might have made different choices. The guys filled the gouges with putty, but of course you can still see them. Brand new windows and they are already looking cruddy. What a bummer this all is.
    ...See More

What makes a house feel "solid" to you?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would say that few build with "real wood" windows in any situation now. I had real wood windows on my last house - built 10 years ago. This time we have vinyl wrapped wood windows and they are far more solid. There are lots of ways to do windows but generally wood is not the high-end go to. Not every dollar spent makes a home feel solid so just throwing money around doesn't really help. Thicker interior walls and those with insulation aren't really that noticeable. Now thicker drywall - that is noticeable. The items you list that make a house feel solid are from different issues. Draft and hot and cold areas should be gone with any decent modern house. Even a crappy spec house (well usually). Spray foam is a way of throwing money at a problem that helps but isn't the best way most of the time. Now I have spray foam but not throughout - only in problem areas. Packed cellulose in the walls actually blocks sound a bit better. 2x6 and masonry siding help keep a house quiet from the outside. Obviously good windows help. Thick drywall helps here too. Creaks, rattles, vibrations - that is just solid construction and probably comes down to using not the cheapest materials but more importantly, good quality labor. Truly solid homes - concrete does help. Build on a slab certainly helps limit floor movement. Know of course that some movement is a bit more comfortable on knees and back.
    ...See More

What would you choose to make a small walk in closet feel elegant?

Q

Comments (10)
    I would go with white. My reasoning: it's a blank slate. However, function matters most, and this is purely opinion. Wallpaper -- yes, even if it's just behind your shoes. It's a small detail, but it'll make the space special. Towards what colors do you gravitate in your clothes? Choose something pretty in those tones. Again, purely opinion. And if your closet is typical, I'd only do one wall /the wall you see as you enter. If you don't want to do wallpaper, have ever tried stenciling? Very easy and cheap -- but time consuming. Yes to a sparkly light fixture. Consider your layout. What you don't want is one central overhead /a layout that'll make your head cast a shadow on the clothes. I'd also choose: - A nice rug -- either fluffy sheepskin or bright colors - A stool, maybe a fold-up style (because I am very short) - At least one valet rod so you can pull out an outfit - A mirror somewhere, if at all possible - Fancy pulls, if you have any drawers - Matching hangers in a pretty color If space allows: - A hook for "gonna wear again items" like jeans or a nightgown - A basket for dirty clothes And while you're at it, do a good clearing-out /toss things you aren't using or that don't fit. Nothing's elegant about an overstuffed closet.
    ...See More
  • cheryl_ok
    14 years ago

I always feel good when I replace my old towels too.
    Also I'm with Susan on plants and garden stuff, I think it is my favorite, and yes it makes me feel good, I even feel better once they have been planted. LOL
    Also, new rugs...fresh and clean!
    Groceries are not as bad as throw aways, like paper towels, garbage bags, etc. I get in a bad mood when it is paper shopping time, seems like such a waste.

• ronm80
    14 years ago

Oh, there is nothing I enjoy more than buying plants.

• maybee_gw
    14 years ago

I love buying clothes for my grandkids...it just gives me pleasure......and, I love buying shoes :o)

• country_bumpkin_al
    14 years ago

I love buying plants too..and PURSES!! I got to work today! There was a purse hanging out front that called my name everytime I walked by it. So, I took it down and took it to the back of the shop to see if we could develope a relationship! We did...so now it's going home with me! (spending money before I even got it!)

• Mystical Manns
    14 years ago

At income tax time, we've gotten a refund for years. I take a portion of it, and pitch all my unders and buy all new ones. I love it! I remember the days when my unders were the LAST possible items to be updated. It just feels so good now to do it annually.

• janie_ga
    14 years ago

WELL, just got back from CVS and got big bags of M&Ms for 99 cents a bad. Felt really good (and a bit guilty) about that. I would SO like to go out and buy new bedding and towels. All of ours are at least 11 years old. But we are trying to curb all nonessential spending for now so i will have to wait a while longer. Maybe there will be some great Spring sales and then maybe I can shop again.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Personally, I feel good NOT buying things! Sometimes I like getting things free after rebate that I can use. But again, when I don't have to buy things, I know I have what I need and that gives me satisfaction. Guess I've never been a materialistic person.

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I love buying scented hand crafted soaps.
    My very favorite is from The Alaskan Soap Company....Sitka Rose.
    It is made with glacial silt and smells so good.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

When I can gift someone just cause I want to.

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

I like buying new tablecloths and napkins.

Nothing like a fresh tablecloth that reflects the season.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

Houseplants and kitcheny items. I hate clothes-shopping!
    Love the tea-towels and dishcloths from Costco.

In the past couple days I've been wanting a bib-style apron. Tired of getting grease-splatters on my clothes. Been on a quest to find one. A friend offered to make me one, if I buy the material. Picked up some "twill" today so I'm excited to get my new apron!

• rosemaryt
    14 years ago

Books, books and more books. I have them all over the house. Can't have too many books. I have to hold myself back all the time.

People just give me gift certificates to Amazon because they know how much I love books. :)

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Nice fabric from the local quilt shop or online if I can't find it locally. I just love new fabric!

Or a nice craft book or pattern, I'm kind of particular about which ones so when I go and find a really wonderful one, I get it and drool over it for days. Maybe weeks. Then it's a treasure.

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

I think that I have about a dozen bedsheets (only 3 beds - and I can only use 1)... and probably 37 towels. And about two dozen pairs of socks (though some of them non-operational - I'm thinking of taking some of the tops of the white sport socks and making them into feet of the ones where the holes there are larger than a couple of inches across).

About a dozen and a half underpants - some of them with very relaxed elastic waistbands ... that I've been able to "refurbish" by using an elastic belt with Velcro (but don't wear them when hitch-hiking, in case the elastic does its job less than adequately).

About three dozen shirts, I think.

My neighbours, where the lady has been giving me advice about operating the sewing machine, and fixing the holes in jeans, coveralls, etc., gave me a pair of overalls for Christmas ... so I'm saying that I can't die for at least four or five years ... till I get at least a half or so of those pants worn out.

I'm wearing the overalls now, as a matter of fact - some others of the operational pants having developed holes, recently.

I had furniture prior ro my move ... and quite a lot of Uncle's was left here ... so I have some piled up - so don't feel any need of additional furniture (but I have been known to bring home some shelves, chests of drawers, etc.).

I enjoy buying scraps (sorry, bad terminology - "remainders") of cloth that I can use for patches, etc.

Actually, I was able to buy a remainder of enough denim to make a pair of jeans a couple of years ago (before I realized that getting more pants required me to delay my date of departure) and have a too-small pair with several seams opened, that I was planning to use for a pattern ... but son's new lady friend works in a fabric store, and is going to get me a pattern: just needs to have me drop in to select the style that I want. Holy cats - I'm becoming involved with style, now, am I? As Dad used to say, "Wonders will never cease!".

As for that too-small pair of jeans: no serious holes, so I think that I can expand them enough to accomodate my waist (and let's not use the crass word, "gut", shall we?).

I enjoy:
    -buying seeds and, as the garden has been in uncle's former barnyard, no fertilizer needed,
    -buying an older model, serviceable car, usually for under $3,000., after my former one has bit the dust: current small Mazda is 22 years old ... with standard tranny, that lets me coast down hills, approaching yellowed signal lights, etc. Gas is scarce, remember? Pollutes, too.

But I don't buy started plants - plant tomatoes from seed. Expect to start some in the basement in early spring, this winter, rather than directly into the garden.

Also I enjoy:
    -supporing some research projects to find procedures to avoid or treat various medical issues (some of them related to illnesses that have caused trouble for some of my relatives, friends, etc.),
    -supporting agencies that offer help to people in need, e.g. Habitat for Humanity, which emphasises requiring recipients to participate in their upgraded housing, i.e. helping people to help themselves ...
    ... and that's on local, area and national basis, plus internationally,
    -supporting the university from which I graduated, plus the seminary, and local libraries which I use but which are outside my municipality,
    -supporting the couple of churches that I attend,
    -supporting the small church whose minister invited me to consider ministry,
    -supporting some small churches where I ministered and
    -offering some support to a church which was heavily damaged by fire a couple of years ago, in a community where I took my son to blow up ballon animals, hats, swords, etc at their Pumpkinfest in the autumn.

I did enjoy helping my kids get their advanced education - but they had to contribute, themselves. Neither went into the field for which they were trained: one has made more use of hers than has the other. But what they do with their lives is their business: it keeps me busy looking after my own!

And ... have I, with seven years of post-secondary education, made the best use of mine? Questionable, I think.

I think that about covers the subject.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone, what's left of it.

ole joyful

• organic_donna
    14 years ago

I love books too. I'm waiting for book #10 in the Sookie Stackhouse series to arrive from Amazon. I'm so addicted to her books. It's the last one she's written.
    I'm not much of a shopper but I love a good bargain. When Linen's N' Things went bankrupt I bought the Nate Berkus bedding at 70-90% off. I saved so much I bought two sets. The other day I bought a Judith Jack ring at 50% off. I don't even like jewelry that much! It was pretty and not expensive and I worked a lot of overtime in December so I deserved it.
    Donna

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

Fabric and books are my addictions!

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

I love going to our library's quarterly book sales....come home with a shopping bag full and feel so fulfilled!

• wildchild
    14 years ago

The ones I get for my kids. Just finished buying my DS's Xmas gifts a moment ago online.

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

I like buying for family and friends whenever I spot the "just right thing." And when I give it to them, I will say "you know this counts toward birthday, Christmas, or whatever." That way they get multiple things all year and we all have repeated joyous moments.

And oh what joy in buying plants for myself. Seems there are several of us plant lovers on this post.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

Buying anything from Land's End. I had to stop buying shoes and coats because I have enough and Land's End merchandise lasts forever. It is just so much fun to have a package on the porch that UPS leaves for me.

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Ole joyful:
    You often mention the failing elastic in your underpants. You could start a chain letter and have everyone responding send you a pair. Do you think you would get at least 6 replacements? And you could ditch the velcro belt.
    Just how does that work anyway?

• liz
    14 years ago

antique and junk stores...there just nothing like finding a "find" there!!

• Vickey__MN
    14 years ago

Sock yarn. Hand dyed is the prettiest! It's expensive, but soooo soft.

Vickey-MN

(It's Moni and Tammi-OH's fault..they started me knitting, and said I could knit anything if I tried and wanted to, now I'm hooked on knitting socks..and LOVE IT, the fancy smancy socks too!)

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

Generally, put my name on the books list. Especially a used book store or sale when I can go a little crazy. A stack of books for $20 feels so much better than just one book! Specifically, I once left Goodwill with a box full of books that cost me just about $20. They have shelves and shelves of books, paperbacks are 75 cents. I was even picky on the titles/authors, these were good selections. That particular visit was to help DD's teacher start filling her classroom bookshelves. So that felt even better. Though she's taught 1st grade for years (and she taught DD couple years ago and DS last year!), this is her first year teaching 4th grade, she needed books for older readers. ;o)

I'm afraid I passed the thrill of book-buying on to my 10 y/o DD already. ;o) And THAT feels good!! A special treat for her to go to the used book store with me.

• kim_okla
    14 years ago

Usually something on Ebay. I got another peacock tonight, it's pink! I can't help it when I see a color I don't have. The last one I got was aqua with the bowl. I'm forever searching for the green bowl, now I can watch for the pink one. I got a yellow bowl in hopes of finding the bird. I know, it's obsessive.

• gemini40
    14 years ago

I LOVE buying plants and shrubs in the spring and summer...come the winter I get so happy when I am awaiting the delivery of some beautiful gold jewelry.. That makes me very happy.

june

• chisue
    14 years ago

I have enough furniture, bedding, towels, etc. to last a lifetime -- more time than I *have*, I suspect. (Did have to replace mattress and springs last month.)

We almost never buy books, but do contribute to our local public library. DH and I will probably each buy a mystery for the long plane trip later this month.

Never buy DVDs -- another thing we get from the library or rent for a night or two.

I haven't replaced my jewelry that was stolen two years ago. Just wear what I have left. Can't replace the stolen things anyway -- memories. DARN whoever that was anyway!!! Glad I've always kept my wedding ring on my finger.

I DO like to 'score' at the grocery -- something I know we will enjoy. Last month I found a beautiful semi-boneless leg of lamb for $.99 a pound. Delicious! We both like good chocolate; fun to find it on sale.

Happy to find shoes that fit or slacks that don't need to be hemmed.

Guess for me spending money for any 'thing' seldom makes me 'feel good'. Maybe I'm entirely too far removed from retail therapy!

Oh, I like to buy lemonade from a kids' stand. It felt good to buy an overpriced Christmas wreath from the shy Scout who came to the door this year. (Classic: "You wouldn't want to buy a wreath, would you, ma'm?")

• olliedee
    14 years ago

I feel Good when I am able to buy something for someone who I am close to when they need it most and can't afford to, or when I know it will make a difference in their life.For christmas I gave my son money to pay for car repairs that I knew were overwhelming to him and his wife.I also like to buy old photos of children and wedding photos because I feel like I am giving them the "home" they deserve.I always wonder how some of these old photos ended up in thrift shops or flea markets and I think I am giving them the respect they deserve.

• azzalea
    14 years ago

I've never found buying to be a way I get my 'feel good' moments. I LOVE to save extra money. LOVE putting it in the bank and watching it grow.

There was one purchase I made, about a year and a half ago, that made me feel fantastic--as a SAHW/M for the past 28 years. For all that time, I scrimped and saved, and was able to--on my money alone--buy us our retirement home. Gave me a huge amount of satisfaction to be able to come up with the downpayment and the mortgage payments. Until DH retires, we're using the country home as a vacation place. Now THAT made all the frugality worth it.

• rosebudms
    14 years ago

Books and books. Love bookstores and Amazon.

Last year I bought myself a red KitchenAid stand mixer. Had wanted one for 50 years. It sits on the counter with a box of cake mix and makes me happy.

Also like to buy odd little bowls and salad plates from Kroger. They have sets and openstock goodies from lots of places. I use the bowls for cereal or soup and sometimes to serve veggies. Salad plates are great for sandwiches and nibbles. Nothing matches, which is why I like them.

Also am thrilled when I get a new piece of McCarty Pottery from Merigold,MS. Rabbiits and kitties and bowls, Oh, My!

Don't get me started on plants.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

another book person. but my once in a while thrill is a piece of lenox china.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I like good deals at rummage sales, such as books, you can't have too many of those or things I can really use and also things I know my kids will like. Any good collectible that is cheap. Kim_Okla, do you have a couple of flamingos in with your peacocks? Nice collection!

Sue

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

Fabrics for my quilting passion....

• curlysue
    14 years ago

Anything that I get at a good price is my favorite purchase. DD is a sophomore in college and so far no student loans. YES!!! This makes me feel good. All the scrimping and saving and doing without that didn't really feel so good all these years, now feels good. I can help her pay her way without a big loan hanging over her head.

Also my most recent purchase--a car---hear the angels singing. I didn't think I would be able to afford a car until DD was out of school and on her own, but thanks to my sister and her wonderful husband I have a bright, shiny, 12 year old Toyota Corolla--as opposed to my 17 year old Toyota Corolla that had rust spots and peeling paint-ran like a dream but looked like a nightmare. I know a 12 year old car--some are thinking--are you kidding, why bother. Because it is what I can afford-I still have no car payment and this car looks very pretty compared to my old one, and it runs like a dream also. Very happy that I had the money in savings to buy this car-now if it will hang in there with me for 5 to 7 years, then maybe a newer car, maybe I can save enough to buy one that is less than 5 years old. That is my goal.

• lindaohnowga
    14 years ago

Purchasing things for our daughter and buying crafting supplies makes me feel good.

• kim_okla
    14 years ago

Yes, the flamingos will have to move to make room for the pastel pair (the aqua and pink). Since they are 17" tall, they don't fit in the curio cabinet.

• mariend
    14 years ago

I also am replacing stuff, but really having a hard time finding sheets, towels, etc made in US. I stay away from stuff from India, does not seem to last very long and pricy for quality. My downfall is office stuff. I must have paper, pencils, pens, notebooks to last 3 lifetimes.

• msmarion
    14 years ago

The only purchase besides gas and food is $250 a month for DH's medicines. I feel good that it's keeping him going and hopefully he'll make 60 this year.

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

It used to be fabric and quilt,sewing,craft books for me.But the last couple of years i have slowed down a lot on doing those things.

I also love to buy plants that aren't your everyday run of the mill things like pansie,petunias etc.One of my favorite things is buying unusual flower seeds,even if they say they won't grow here,i'll try them and have had some successes.
    kathi

• mylab123
    14 years ago

Since we started off together broke, I still feel the best about the purchases I decided I really wanted and if I couldn't pay cash for it right then, just saved it up until I could. Now those are bigger ticket items and I get the same amount of pleasure from it that I did on smaller things back in the day.

I also am big on sales - I will decide on a bigger ticket item, save the cash ahead of time and then wait for a really great sale - then bag it and tag it ;)

You can bargain a salesperson down on almost anything that is sold today if you approach the whole subject carefully. If they say they can't change the price, ask for their supervisor.

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

Love those peacocks,Kim. I have a collection of pitchers that have a chick...or some kind of bird on them. I have them in several colors and I will buy duplicates when I find them cheap. They're made by American Bisque. Anyway, I saw one on ebay once that was green...and that's a color I don't have, so I would love to find a green one to go with the pink, yellow and blue ones I have.

I love buying junk and if I ever get my yard in shape again...plants.

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

I always have a great feeling when I know I've bought and stocked up on everything I need to keep the house running....like paper towels, toilet tissue, laundry detergent and things like that. I hate being ready to do something and then finding out I'm out, so buying and stocking is something that really makes me happy. I love doing this with my pantry and do this with BOGO specials at the grocery. It also makes me feel good when I find something I really need at a really discounted price. There's nothing like finding something really special at a garage sale or thrift shop to make me smile!!!

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

A really great pair of shoes (for me, not for DH or kiddies), that are both beautiful and comfortable are my first, best retail therapy.

• patti43
    14 years ago

I've been reading this and thinking hard about what makes me feel good to buy. You can but my name on mylab123's post. This is my year for eliminating not adding anything! I've had Habitat for Humanity out twice since just before Christmas. I actually feel better giving than getting anything new.

That said, I do enjoy spending money on a good meal I don't have to cook or clean up.

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Lets see...

Fabric and quilting supplies
    Perfume (I don't overbuy but love expensive perfume)
    Like Patti spending money on a good meal makes me very happy!

Susan

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Shopping for slacks is a challenge for me.

Today I bought Lee stretch jeans. They fit correctly, look nice, the waisband is at my waist and they are very comfortable.

The original price had been $40., but I got them at Ross for only $13.99, and my senior discount meant I didn't even have to pay sales tax.

I feel good!

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

My 'feel good' purchase was the first car that I bought new. It was a 1964 Dodge Dart with the small V8 engine and automatic transmission. The gear selector was via push buttons on the dash. It was white with red interior. I ran that one to 100,000 miles. I wish I had another one. It was one of my all time favorites.