SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Italy report for Parma and anyone else who's interested

Sueb20
14 years ago

Figure I'd respond in a new thread, Parma!

The trip was fantastic. We started in Venice for 3 nights. Even in the misty, cloudy weather (no actual rain, so we were lucky) the city was so beautiful. I can't tell you how oddly thrilled we all were to have pigeons sit on our hands, arms, heads...in the square. Trust me, I'm really happy in this pic:

We went on a gondola ride, bought a mask, all the required activities. Our time there was too short. Then on to Florence, which took some getting used to, for me, after Venice. Florence seemed so gritty and crowded in comparison. But after the first day or so, I started to love Florence as much as I loved Venice. In both cities, we walked miles every day, getting lost constantly and discovering so many neat things. Climbed the Duomo, went to the Uffizi, saw David, went to all the markets, Ponte Vecchio, etc etc. One day we had a car and driver (big splurge but SO worth it) and took a day trip to the Chianti region and San Gimagnano (sp?) which was fantastic.

And yeah, the exchange rate didn't work in our favor. I had to keep mentally calculating every purchase... which did not stop me from shopping. I had to buy a leather pocketbook in Florence, of course. Bought a few scarves from the street markets in both cities, DH bought a beautiful purple tie in Florence, DS#2 found lots of soccer stuff, DS#1 found a mask to use in his films, DD found her requisite snowglobes and charms for her charm bracelet. Oh, I also bought 2 watercolors from artists on the street, and an amazing mask from a wonderful shop in Florence. So obviously, now I need to redecorate my house. ;)

Comments (17)