SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moose186

Portable Air Conditioner Problem...A/C isn't working

moose186
15 years ago

Hi-

I have a Delonghi PL90. It was working fine this summer, and then the other day for a few days in a row, it didn't seem to be giving out cold air at all. The fan still worked, there were no strange noises, but no cold air. Then after about three days there was a really foul smell (burnt rubber) coming out. We shut it down and are trying to figure out what happened.

I opened up the unit tonight and found some gunk had 'melted' on some of the coils and the bottom of the unit. The stuff is like black oily putty with a thin layer of clear plastic around it. This stuff covers some copper piping elsewhere in the unit too that hasn't been affected. Looks like some sort of insulation. The burnt smell seemed strongest however in the metal box that houses the starter capacitor (I think that's what it is-see last picture).

If the starter capacitor did in fact burn out, would the fan still blow though? (it does blow strong, just without cold air). I thought this thing turned on both the fan and the compressor.

Or am I more likely looking at a bad compressor?

See pictures below:

{{gwi:1588470}}

{{gwi:1588471}}

{{gwi:1588472}}

Comments (2)