SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

how to get kid to turn in homework

Shannon01
13 years ago

So my 13yr dd is in 8th grade. She normally gets As and Bs on inclass work or tests. But she is getting Ds and Fs for homework. She either does it and does not turn it in, or says she cannot find it. How it disappears from her notebook we cannot figure out. Sometimes she probably did not even do it. The teachers have the kids note a planner as to the assignments so parents can check them off. We see her work, say math was page 2/questions 1-10, but she does not turn it in the next day.

I met with all the teachers and showed them her grades. They all agreed that C students, like her, do not get As on tests. They all agreed that she is intentionally not turning in her work. Almost like she is sabatoging herself. We wonder if it is some sort of control thing. It is one thing in her life that she can totally control. She tells us she does not know why she is doing this. We are all stumped.

So, she has nothing to take away. No tv/games on weekdays. Has no phone to text, does not take calls on home phone. No computer, no ipod. Does not have friends over, no going to friends. She goes to school and comes home. She does some chores if we stay on her like white on rice. I only take her shopping to get things she has to have. She just got a new hoodie because she has none. I guess I could have gotten her a plain grey one instead of a name brand. Hmm

Anyhoo, anyone experience a child doing this? Her teachers love her and did not realize this was going on- too many kids to track. Now that we have brought this to their attention they all said they will stay on her about how smart she is and how she is only hurting herself.

I am emailing all the teachers tomorrow to ask what specific assignments she has not turned in. We have decided that she still has to do the work even if it is late or she gets no credit. She thinks that once the due date passes she does not have to turn it in. Nooooo, we still want her to do the work.

She got really upset this evening and went right up to do her homework. Let's see if she actually turns it in tomorrow.

We have online grades so dh and I check nightly. We can see what the assignments are for each class and she shows us the work. But then she does not turn it in.

Help?

Comments (16)