SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aubohlde_gw

HVAC recommendations/options for gutted early 1900s rowhouse

aubohlde
14 years ago

I am in the process of buying a gutted early 1900s rowhouse in Capitol Hill. It's a big undertaking and I'm a first time home-buyer, so I have a lot to learn. While I expect to do very little of the work myself, I am trying to educate myself so I can make well-informed decisions and speak intelligently with my contractor.

A big question in my mind is what route to go for HVAC. The house is a two-story rowhouse, with a full English basement that will be finished as a separate rental unit. Each floor is approximately 650 sq feet. The house has windows front and back, but is protected by attached neighboring houses on both sides. I'm trying to take into account cost, efficiency and space constraints with my systems decisions. I don't want to give up precious space for a large systems closet on either the ground or second floor. If I could shove systems into a closet under the stairs on the main floor, that could be okay. Best would be if everything to heat/cool the whole house could be put in the basement.

I don't feel strongly about having separate systems/meters for the rental and main units -- don't think it's a big deal to just increase the rent a bit to include estimated utility costs. And it seems logical that buying one set of higher performing components would still be cheaper than two smaller lower performing sets. However, I've been told (by a non-HVAC expert) that in order to effectively cool the second story, it may not work to have all systems in the basement and that I really might need to consider separate systems -- something small/basic for basement and then another set for the ground and second stories, located on either floor.

I'm still learning the various options: split vs all in one; cac/furnace vs. heat pump/air handler; etc. (not even sure I got that right...) I'm looking for any advice/thoughts to help as I make my pro/con lists on this decision. For instance: I like the idea of a hybrid-fuel heat pump packaged system for the whole house, but have no idea if that would work in the DC climate, would be capable of servicing all three stories, or would be within my budget. The entire budget to finish the whole house is just over 130,000 and that includes 2 kitchens, 3.5 baths, etc. I'd say 12,000-15,000 is the max I can spend on HVAC systems. But I have NO idea if that's reasonable or not.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County