SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Door style crisis - opinions needed stat (pics)

jenswrens
14 years ago

I am in need of some opinions or "WWYD" answers in this situation. I'll try to keep it brief.

I ordered custom doors/drawers for my IKEA cabs. The style I ordered has a soft routed edge on the inside of the stile/rail. The door company made a mistake and forgot the routed edge so that I got a Shaker door instead. (see pics below)

My options are: 1) Keep the Shaker doors, live with it, and get a nominal reimbursement (a few hundred $$) from cab co.

2) Return all the doors/drawers so that they can be reframed and repainted (they have to dismantle the door, remove the frame and add new rails/stiles that have the routed edge  they wouldnÂt just route the edge of the existing doors). Basically they make all new doors.

3) Keep the Shaker doors and have cab co send me X linear feet of painted molding that I can add to the door as an applied molding to soften the edge of the rail/stile.

There are pros/cons of all options. Some issues:

I donÂt really like the Shaker door because it seems too stark/modern when combined with the style of my hood and island, which are more traditional in style. Which is why I ordered the routed edge in the first place.

We initially thought weÂd have to live with the mistake (donÂt ask) and went ahead and installed all the doors this weekend, which involved 2 whole days of drilling holes for all the hardware. Of course all these holes (for hinges and drawer attachments) are on the frame (rail/stile) part, which will be thrown out if we send them back. So weÂd have to do all that drilling over again.

WeÂd have to wait another 3-4 weeks to get the doors back if we return them. (Which is not bad really, considering IÂve lived without doors on these cabs for 4 years now.) If we just get the molding, the wait would be less. But then, of course, there is the labor involved of cutting and applying the molding (which may be more or less intensive than re-drilling all the holes, IDK).

I really think I am leaning toward just sending all the doors back and getting the routed edge I ordered, but I wanted to get opinions about the 3 different door styles and how well (or not) one or the other complements the hood/island.

So, what would you do? What other issues might there be that I havenÂt thought of?

These arenÂt the greatest pics, but here they are:

Sample door (style I ordered):

Door with applied molding (sample door in middle, Shaker door on bottom):

Close-up of mocked-up applied molding door:

Comments (20)