SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestlawn

Quickie tutorials for the forum

bestlawn
16 years ago

Let's make tutorials of the various things people ask to do, such as posting pictures. Sue's idea to place the old woman thread in the gallery was a great one. Even though we don't have an FAQ section, these tutorials can stay in the gallery for quite a while at least. They will be there so we don't have to write them over and again, and no one has to be ashamed to ask.

All who wish to know about a technique, please post so we don't miss anything. All suggestions welcome. I don't want to hog the thread, so please contribute methods for making bold, italics, and underlining text, changing text size, posting pictures, posting hot links, anything you can think and contribute.

I'll begin with the method for hiding text.

{{gwi:1575605}}

To see the words that are between the two tags, the reader will have to select the area of white space, so be sure to instruct them where to select.

Select the white space below this sentence.

This text is white

It happens to be the background of this board is white. Therefore, by making your text white, it does not show up because it's the same color as the background. Selecting makes it visible because the it highlights the block of text.

You can change the color of one word, several words, a sentence, a paragraph, the whole post, or individual words intermittently. Just place the opening tag at the beginning and the closing tag wherever you want the hidden text to end. If you want intermittent words hidden, you will need the opening and closing tags for each word.

This is the same method for making text any other color you want it to be. Instead of white, you can use any color - red, blue, green, pink, purple, and so on. If you know the hex code for a color or variation of color, you can use that instead of the word or instead of the shade of color your browser interprets the word to be.

Next.......

Comments (37)

• alisande
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bestlawn, you may have answered this question once before. I need to write it down so I don't forget:

What code do you use to enable the a string of code, such as the one you posted above, to be seen in its entirety, without having to insert spaces or whatever to make it appear for the reader?

I hope I worded that clearly.

Thanks!

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr hahahaha
    Mikie told me that ages ago, but I am so sorry I don't remember. If I'm not mistaken, the same question was asked on CHF within the last year and likely to still be there. I'll go search for it and search my computer to see if I saved it. Thanx, Susan. I forgot all about that.

• Related Discussions

easy tutorial how to post pics on this forum

Q

Comments (1)
    Gerry, Thanks for taking the time to post this! Herbert
    ...See More

Dilly Bean Quickie

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you. I was given a BWB canning kit that was my mothers, and she gave me many many quart jars and only a few pint ones. I made my first dilly beans! I thought that during this cold dreary winter it would be good to "practice" canning and green beans were 99 cents a pound. Boy o boy am I glad I practiced when I didn't have a gardenload of produce waiting for me. I appreciate everyone's advice on this forum, even if I mainly lurk, I have learned so much here and nobody I know does any canning.
    ...See More

Question about "growing from seed " tutorial

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi jifjifjif, Last year was my first year growing hot peppers from seed. I scoured the FAQs last year for tips on growing them. There is a lot of good information but maybe this will help too :) THINGS I WISH I KNEW THAT I COULDN'T FIND ON THE FAQS: 1.) Some cats like to eat Jalapeno leaves when you are not looking. 2.) Do NOT get too attached to your seedlings if you have a limited amount of space (naming them, photo journal, etc..) I'm sure there are others I just can't think of now.. Good luck with this year's peppers!!
    ...See More

Forum for Tutorials

Q

Comments (30)
    While I save and print the Tutorials to my own computer I realise that many other may not. I think it is a great idea to have the Tutorials in an archive so that not only present members but future members will have access to them. Teresa, I appreciate the time and effort you are making to get GW to let you do this. You and the other teachers have spent many hours preparing the lessons for us and it would be a shame not to have them on permanent record. It is hard to make changes as we all tend to get stuck in a rut. But if it is for the better of the forum, I think it should be done. Thanks for your efforts. Jacke
    ...See More
  • alisande
    16 years ago

But you must have used it in this thread, right? Otherwise the code would have disappeared. Unless I'm completely wrong about all this, which is always a possibility....

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, you're right. Like I said, I forgot all about it and did all the above in graphic, then posted the same way as posting a picture.

I asked over at the CHF. Expect an answer soon. It was Mikie who told me a few years back but someone else answered that same question for a poster more recently. Hopefully, one of them will check into the forum soon since the search engine isn't working good as squat right now.

• golfergrrl
    16 years ago

I'm going to save this thread for further use.
    I click on "file" in my menu bar.
    Then I click on "save as".
    Another box opens up.
    In the drop down menu at the top I'll select "desktop".
    (You can put it anywhere, just remember where. I tend to put stuff on my desktop and move them later.)
    Then I'll click on "save".

As the thread grows, I'll repeat the process.
    When you click on the last "save", a warning will come up to the effect, "do you want to replace...". Just answer yes.

This is easier for me than to c/p here and there.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's a good one, LindaKathy.

Okay, Susan, I found the post from back in July. I'm pasting his post below and here's the link to that thread if you want to view it. LOL He learned the same way I did from Mikie and Terramadre. (Forgot all about him.)

Let me see if I can explain dat.
    *note, I had to leave a space between & and lt; and a space between & and gt; because they showed up as brackets, so use no space like I'm showing.
    For the brackets you need to replace them with & lt; for and & gt; for >

That way it will show up as an inactive link, but will show the brackets.

I learned this on the test forum from Terramadre & Mikie when I asked how they did that.

This is how it looks
    {{gwi:1575606}}
    Had to make it a graphic cuz the tag automatically converts to upon preview.

Here's my test
    <font color=white>I want these words to be white</font>

Gonna have to proof before previewing. The unactivate command tags automatically convert to the less than and greater than signs. To preview, make corrections, and preview again, the browser will then interpret and obey the signs because then they are command tags and no longer the unactivate/disallow commands.

We'll see if I'm right.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, it worked!

• golfergrrl
    16 years ago

BL, the link imbedded in the message is another good one. Could you demonstrate that one? I would look it up, but you're so much better at explaining things than I am.
    Thanks

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Copy the URL from the address bar.
    The URL for this thread is
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchentable/msg011609264161.html?8

The opening tag is
    <a href=

Give the reader a word or words to click on. Can be any word(s) you choose.
    The page is here if you want to view it.
    or
    Those are not real links. Just my example.

This default color for links is purple, and the default is to automatically underline links. When composing these boards, Spike could have programmed the links however he wanted. If he didn't, your browser will do the defaults (normally, but not always).

The closing tag is
    </a>

Put it all together
    The <a href=http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchentable/msg011609264161.html?8>page is here</a> if you want to view it.

Will look like this
    This one is a real link to this thread

• golfergrrl
    16 years ago

Cool, thank you. I like that one, because sometimes we want to refer to more than one link in a message.
    Good stuff here.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oohwee, Mikie just showed us a new trick.

<textarea rows=5 cols=30>This is typed inside a texbox. You can use this scroll bar to see all of the text. I typed 3 rows and 30 columns, but you are not limited to those amounts.</textarea>

Creates this text box with active scroll bar.
    This is typed inside a texbox. You can use this scroll bar to see all of the text. I typed 3 rows and 30 columns, but you are not limited to those amounts.

Just remember, you cannot preview and then make corrections and preview again. You have to submit after the very first preview screen, so be sure proof reading is done before you click the preview button.

• alisande
    16 years ago

Thanks, BL. I'll try it now.

To bold your text, use this code:

<b>This text is bolded</b>

• msmarion
    16 years ago

I'm embarrassed to say this but... I don't understand what "hide text" is. Could some one help this computer challanged soul?

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No need to be
    embarrased.
    Click and drag your mouse over the white space above.
    Or, go to Edit > Select All and the text above will show.

Sometimes, people want to post spoilers to TV shows or say things for other reasons, but they don't want anyone to see it unless they really want to see it. By hiding the text, the poster gives the reader the option of looking and making the effort to see, rather than it being there in plain sight where all can see.

What I explained above is the method for hiding text, but I guess I failed miserably if you didn't understand it.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops, I missed an "s"

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Thank you. Guess it's something I've never needed to do.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get my photos into Photobucket so I can post photos. LOL

• sue_va
    16 years ago

Embedding a link is one I have forgotten how to do so I'm glad to see that one.

The text box is interesting; don't know that I would ever use it, but you never know.

Thanks.

Sue

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anyone else share a tutorial?

• alisande
    16 years ago

One of my favorites. Let's say you're being silly and want to cross out something but let it show, as in.....

I thanked my neighbor for his stupid kind offer to cut up my apple trees for firewood, but........

......simply look at my post above about bolding text and substitute S's for the B's.

To italicize, substitute I's.

To underline, substitute U's.

Have fun!

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

I see you included picture posting, so I'll put in the tinypic suggestion. Go to tinypic.com, hit browse button to choose the gif of picture from wherever you have them (My Pictures, or whatever). When it comes up, just hit the upload button. It will tell you then to "click here", then just copy the top line and paste it in your message.
    Just remember, don't go to tinypics....you'll see more than you want to!

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For music in your posts

This site, SoundClick.com, is really cool because it gives you the complete code for sound and control panel and looks like this.....
    {{gwi:1575607}}
    This is a graphic of a concerto I posted elsewhere.

But, if you're unable to find your song(s) there the code is easy. Your major concern is hosting it on the web. I upload mine to my Comcast server. If you don't have a server, send me the song(s) and I'll upload it for you and give you the URL. Incidentally, most internet providers offer storage space as part of your package. Comcast offers a gig of storage space and web space. This isn't necessarily every email client you have (if you have more than one such as aol, yahoo, hotmail, gmail, etc. I only say that because I have 5 email accounts), but the one that provides your internet access. When I had DSL through ATT (ATT/Yahoo), I was unable to find out if any storage space existed. I really think that was just a matter of ATT personnel not being informed, so you should check with your provider and thoroughly check out your homepage. This would likely be part of domain space they offer for you to build a website or at least a webpage. Usually, it's just enough for a page or so, and then you can purchase more space if you need a full site w/ enough bandwidth to support many pages. The storage space is part of the free package, so check it out.

Here are the codes.......

For the song to play in the background when a member clicks on that thread, you need the background sound source tag:

&ltBGSOUND SRC="URL">

Here's one I used for the snags posts at KT.....
    &ltBGSOUND SRC="https://home.comcast.net/~writerightprint/My Valentine.mp3">

As you can see, the URL includes the path to my server, the location of the song, and the name of the song as it appears in my storage space. It has to be the exact same way it appears. Sometimes when uploading files, the site you upload to will add underscores to fill in empty spaces between words. If yours does that, be sure you type it the same way it appears on its page, server, or host site. If it is a page by itself, you can just copy and paste the URL from the address bar. But be careful of bandwidth theft.

For the song to play from its own little control center, you need the embed source tag:

&ltEMBED SRC="https://home.comcast.net/~writerightprint/My Valentine.mp3" HEIGHT=20 WIDTH=150>

This will embed a play/pause/and volume control panel for members to turn it off/on and decrease/increase the volume to their personal listening preference. Looks like this......
    {{gwi:1575608}}
    This is not an active control panel, just a graphic to show how the command will look. IVillage doesn't allow embedding here on the forums, but you can use this tag for other sites. Most browsers and internet languages do support the embed command, and many sites support HTML.

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ttt

• Elly1
    16 years ago

Mallory,
    This is great. I am sure going to save this thread.
    BTW, Mallory, do you know of any free storage sites that will host music...?mine will not!!
    Thanks a lot,
    Elly

• bestlawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Elly, you're talking about sites other than MediaFire and such for uploads and downloads, right? (You know you can always use those for transferring music files just like any other files.) So, I'm thinking you want one to host songs like I did with this song that's playing. For that, you need a website that comes with enough space for storage.

Here are a few that offer free space
    Freewebs
    Yahoo GeoCities
    FortuneCity
    Bravenet

A couple more I can't think of the names, but there are plenty on the web. You might find some by googling. Just one drawback is the free ones usually don't offer very much space or bandwidth to try to get you to purchase more.

What I use is the storage space offered by Comcast. Your internet provider very likely offers free domain space for you to set up a web page if you want and also has storage space. It might take some doing to get through to Yahoo, and you'll probably come out better by searching their pages for information concerning that. When I was with ATT/Yahoo (for DSL), the representatives I spoke with didn't know anything about it, so I know it's not easy finding one who can help. But normally, your internet provider does offer that, just not all. That only applies to your internet provider, not necessarily all email clients. If Yahoo isn't your provider, it's unlikely they offer free domain space to those who only have email with them. Incidentally, you don't necessarily have to set up your web page in order to use the storage space.

• Elly1
    16 years ago

Thanks Mallory,
    I don't post music a lot, but would like to be able to now and then..
    Elly

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Bump.

o j

• mikka_north
    15 years ago

totally amazing what you can learn from this site
    or should I say TOTALLY AMAZING

thanks
    Rosie

• workoutlady
    15 years ago

I didn't see this the first time around - Thanks.

• Linda Wayman
    15 years ago
  • lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Bumping this up again. Linda

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I didn't see the date and thought Bestlawn was back!!

• Linda Wayman
    15 years ago

So did I Minnie. :(

Linda

• gloriam
    15 years ago

Yes I thought Mallory was back also. It brought a smile to my face.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

Fooled me.
    Gayle

• wendylynders
    15 years ago

I am missing something. How do I post the images?

I would love to. Thanks....

Here is a link that might be useful: Autism and our life with it.

• grammahony
    15 years ago

I thought she was back too, until I checked the date.
    Leslie

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

Just bumping this up. There's great info here, thanks to Bestlawn and others. Any new tips? Maybe someone knows how to get a thread once it's dropped off p.67? Linda