SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Making ice cream

rivkadr
15 years ago

My husband and I finally tried making ice cream last night (we've owned this ice cream maker for 5 or more years, and just never tried it). The results were...disappointing. Maybe it's just years of growing up on Breyers and Ben & Jerry's or something, but the resulting ice cream was just not very good tasting.

We used the basic chocolate ice cream recipe that came with our Cuisinart ice cream maker -- we were going to make the "Decadent Chocolate" recipe, but once we saw that a vanilla bean costs a whopping $9, we opted for the cheaper recipe. It simply involved milk, heavy cream, sugar, and chocolate (we used Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet, that we found in the baking aisle -- it was either that or Hersheys brand, and I hate Hersheys chocolate).

The ice cream we ended up with was very sweet, and seemed almost like gelato. I really don't like super-sweet ice cream. And the chocolate was very strong. We couldn't finish our servings, it was that unappetizing (and yes, we did follow the instructions carefully!)

Are there better recipes to follow? Or do homemade recipes on the whole tend to be sweeter and stronger tasting, and resemble gelato? Should I stick to my store-bought brands?

Comments (6)