SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katflagge

Losing my marbles? Rattling sound from Fisher Paykel DEGX1

katflagge
13 years ago

I have a Fisher Paykel DEGX1 dryer purchased in July, 2006. I have had several issues with it, all post-warranty, but all repairable by me with the purchase of parts. Currently a new sound has developed. I was drying a load of clothes, and I heard a loud "pop", for lack of a more sophisticated term, that came from the laundry room. I then noticed that when my dryer is tumbling the clothes in one direction, it sounds normal for this dryer; when the drum reverses, a sound similar to marbles tumbling and rattling around in the drum presents itself. The reverse-direction tumble seems to have a much shorter duration than the other direction, although I have never paid much attention to this; just know that the drum does a series of reverses while drying, and I noted the durations as I was trying to determine the location of the rattling noise. Seems to be coming from lower right of the unit as best I can tell. Does anyone have suggestions as to what may be producing this sound, and perhaps whether attempting to repair it myself is a reasonable task? I replaced the bearing ass'y once at about 30 mos of age on the unit; this sound is not the screeching, scraping, grinding sound that resulted from failure of that mechanism. Functionally, the unit presently performs as usual; just noisy on the reverse tumble. Glad for any input.

Comments (5)