SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traceyc_fl

Help - Miele 1918 gasket replacement

TraceyC_FL
12 years ago

Hi all!

I've been on here before, but who knows what my member name was - and I don't think I have access to the email it is tied to any longer. New account time!

Anyway, I have an old Miele 1918 that I love, but my ex washed a screw driver in his pocket multiple years ago... and it leaks. HIs first patch job held for a long time, since that though it has been a "have towels at the edges to soak up the leak".

As a struggling single mom of 3, and now a full time student (to hopefully stop the struggling side), I finally scrapped up the money to order the gasket.

Then i realized i didn't have torx bits, and finally got that take care of.

Today it was "Tracey vs the gasket" - and the gasket won. I got the front open, got to where I needed to be - but couldn't figure out how i was going to pull it off THEN get the new one back on.

I really truly can't afford to have a service call for this - i've had multiple people flake on me this winter regarding putting my mower belt back on, so that is the next expensive service call.

Can I do this myself? Are there instructions? Am i missing something? Do i need more brute strength?

My laundry is piling up because the water leaking out is making a mess and I can't deal with it. I guess I need to just go to the laundromat and catch up and start over.

I did put another contact cement type bike patch on the UNDERSIDE of the hole since I was all the way there. THen I stuck a piece of gorilla tape over it. I'm hoping maybe it slows the leak down.

So if anyone has any tips/advice/help for me - i sure would appreciate it!!

Thanks -

Tracey

Comments (9)