SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_brunette

Replace entire 19 year old system or just broken AC?

My husband and I have differing opinions on what to do. Here are the facts:

We live in Minnesota and have a 19 year old natural gas furnace and central air conditioner. The AC is kaput so we are planning to replace it with a new higher efficiency model, at least SEER 14.

After getting a few estimates we learned that there are some federal tax credits available,as well as the local utility rebates, if we also replace the furnace. Does it make sense to replace both at this time even though the furnace is still working fine? Obviously, it isn't as efficient anymore, since it was installed in 1988. There is also a benefit to replacing the AC and furnace at the same time, as supposedly the installers give you a price break, and one even increases part of the warranty from 5 to 10 years on the furnace.

I'm thinking, go ahead and replace the whole system and take advantage of the extra federal tax credit. Who knows how long the furnace will continue to work? Besides, this would give us more efficient products too.

My husband thinks, don't fix it if it isn't broken. The furnace may continue to run fine for several more years.

Sure would like to hear others opinions on this quandry. Thanks.

Comments (12)