SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craigva

A/C replacement or complete system?

craigva
13 years ago

I am in Northern Virginia near Washington, D.C. I have a three story townhouse that is approx 2300 sq. ft. which is 11 years old (I bought it new). My a/c is in need of replacement and is undersized (3 ton) as it has never kept my house cool when the temp gets above 85. A Manual J showed I should have a 3 1/2 ton unit. My furnace is an 80/64 80% and runs okay and provides plenty of heat. It is rated for up to a 4 ton A/C unit. Also I was told (twice) that my ducts are able to handle 4 tons. I also have a bypass humidifier and an air cleaner on the system.

My option (and dilemma) is do I replace the a/c unit with a basic one (such as a Carrier Comfort 16) or add a furnace or go with two stage A/C and furnace?

As of now the options given me are:

$3900 Comfort 16 24acc6 3.5 ton + coil

$4900 add Performance 80 furnace 58pha 90-16 to above (net after tax credit)

$5700 Performance 24apa748 4 ton 2 stage

Infinity 80 58cva 110-20 2 stage (net after Carrier rebate and tax credit)

Second Company:

$6800 for Performance HP 25HPA648 4 ton 2 stage, same furnace as above, CNPVP6124ATA coil and Infinity Control

5 year labor/10 year parts warranty (net after Carrier rebate and tax credit)

options: +700 for 10 year labor

+600 for Carrier flow through humidifier

The first company doesn't believe in hybrid systems for the DC area and wouldn't give me a quote.

I also received two quotes on Trane systems but didn't like the options (none with a furnace qualified for the tax credit).

Any advice/thoughts on what is the best option given the above would be appreciated. Oh, and I plan to be in the house a minimum of 5 years and a maximum of 10 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any input on this.

Comments (9)