SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mediamogul2020

A/C vs system replace in ATL

MediaMogul2020
10 years ago

Tough situation here. Builder grade A/C unit failing- symptoms are small temp delta at registers and occasionally outside fan won't start and/or squeals.
The furnace is 13 yrs old and is basic single stage Comfortmaker model. 80% AFLUE I think. The a/c compressor replaced about 7 yrs ago. 2.5 ton unit. The outside fan motor was replaced only three years ago. I'm thinking the fan blades are vibrating and causing premature failure on the motor bearings.

House is basement and two floors. Basement has Lennox heatpump- works w/o issue.
Top Floor 2 ton Comfortmaker, original unit- no issues.

Main floor is the problem child.
The unit runs constantly in summer since we bought the house 3 yrs ago. Things improved somewhat when I found and fixed a 50% blocked 12" return. (blocked due to prior owner basement remodel-long story) In addition there are two more 8" returns. Sq footage of main floor is about 1700' with cathedral ceilings in family room and foyer. Otherwise 9' ceilings . The unit still runs constantly if temp exceeds low 80's outside. Obviously a sizing problem. No other known ductwork issues.

The usual scenario is that the A/C turns on in the morning and the inhouse temp gradually rises to about 81 and then falls to our preset of 77 at around 11pm. Unit shuts off.

So I am weighing a 3 ton compressor/coil replacement vs system replacement with something like a Carrier 16 seer with two stage furnace. My installer mentioned that I will not exceed roughly 14 seer if I keep the current furnace. If I keep the furnace I would probably opt for a Carrier Performance 13 seer a/c compressor/coil unit.

My big question revolves around the estimated lifespan of this comfortmaker furnace which has been running 100% duty cycle daytime hours in summer and 50% in winter. How long do heat exchangers typically last?

It is 13 years old. I should mention the furnace exhaust blower makes a loud pinging noise (bearings?) so it's nearly toast.

I lean to system replace but it's gonna be twice the cost and ROI is not good if we move in around five years. (Likely) $3.4k a/c only vs $7-8k for complete system.

Any thoughts welcome and sorry if this issue has been posed before-
Oh my wife and I much prefer gas over a heat pump.
We're located 25 miles north of Atlanta, GA.

Comments (6)