SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darren72

Please help me choose an AC system

darren72
13 years ago

Hi everyone. Yes, this is another "help me choose" post. I'm installing a new AC system in my house and have very little knowledge about these things. I appreciate any guidance. I have quotes from two companies:

1. The first is from a mid-sized, reputable company. This is a 14 SEER, 2.5 ton system:

Lennox High Efficiency Comfort Cooling System 14ACX/CBX27

o Premium Air Conditioning system

o Premium Cooling Output" Control

o "Tax Credit Qualified of $1,500.00

New Refrigerant Distribution System

* New ductwork for second floor of the house.

Complete Air Duct Sealing Renovation

10 Years warranty covers all parts, labor, diagnostics, etc. as long as I have them perform annual maintenance.

Price: $ 7,853.00

(They also priced out a 13 SEER system that cost $1500 less and didn't qualify for the tax credit. Since the tax credit makes these two systems virtually the same price, we are only considering the above 14 SEER system.)

They gave me the following add-on options:

a. Aprilaire 350/360 Whole House Home Humidification System $1,441.00

b. Outdoor Reset Control For Hydronic Heating System to reduce Energy Consumption $610.00

c. Attic Tent Insulation Barrier System $525.00

2. The second quote is a from (I think) a one-man operation. He is experienced (and somewhat older), lower priced, but I can't really count on him to stand behind the work the way I could with a mid-sized company.

This is a 4 ton, 13 SEER system:

Goodman air-handler install in attic

Install ductwork and connect to existing system

Install Comfortmakers air cooled air conditioner rated 4 ton, having an approx. 13 SEER consisting of:

Condensing unit installed on the outside of premises,

Connect condensing unit and air-handler with refrigerant tubing

Install condensate line with PVC pipe and connect with existing system

Install AprilAir humidifier

Install duct-work in the basement

Price: $5000

So there is a big difference in the price (nearly $3000). Some of this is because the mid-sized company undoubtedly has a higher labor rate than the second guy.

Another difference is that the first system is Lennox and the second is a Goodman/Comfortmaker. The Lennox is more efficient and probably not as loud.

The Lennox is 2.5 tons and the Goodman is 4 tons. Our house is less than 2000 sq feet and the guy who quoted me for the Lennox system said that 2.5 tons will be sufficient. I also asked him how much I would save if I swapped the Lennox for a Goodman, and he said probably about $500.

We expect to live in the house 5-7 years, if that makes a difference.

Any help advice about how to go about deciding between these two, or what questions to ask next. Thanks!

Comments (15)