SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinitytx_gw

Shelby has gone over the rainbow bridge

trinitytx
16 years ago

Somehow when I woke up this morning, I knew it would be the day. I'm not sure how I knew it, but she was miserable, and I knew it.

I hate being the one that has the power to call a dogs last day, and it bothers me to have the last say.

Shelby was the last of the fab four, and she was almost fifteen years old.

No sympathy needed, just please help me with the guilt I feel in telling her as I drove to the vet that I loved her and it was time.

Trin

Comments (39)

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

I'm sorry Trinity....I dread the day when Homey's time comes.

She knows you loved her. She had a good life, but it was time.

Gayle

• liz
    16 years ago

I think what you did was one of the most unselfish things you'll ever do for your beloved animal. There is nothing worse then letting something go we love so much...but it's worse to let them suffer needlessly. (((trinity)))

• Marcia Thornley
    16 years ago

Well I will extend my sympathy. I've been there and I know how much it hurts. You have no reason to feel guilty however. I truly believe that dogs know how much we love them and they trust us to make decisions for them. Making the decision you did is truly the most unselfish thing. You did it out of love and I'm sure Shelby knows that and is now in peace and pain free.

• Linda Wayman
    16 years ago

trin ~ you do have my sympathy. I know what a painful thing that was for you to have to do. Just try to take comfort in knowing Shelby knew she was loved and cared for.
    Rest in peace dear Shelby. There are a lot of KT pets at Rainbow Bridge to play with you.

Linda

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

So sorry Trinity. Everyone feels guilty, but really we are doing the right and humane thing. No animal should have to suffer. Shelby is at peace now and the fab 4 are 4 once again!

((((Trinity))))

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

Bless your heart - we've "been there done that" and it is a hard decision and there is guilt, but you did the right thing.

((((hugs))))

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I'm sure she is now in a better place, and free of pain. Don't beat yourself up, but try instead to enjoy reliving all the joy she brought you over the many years.

I've never tried to explain to my furbabies anything like that, but just always assure them as I so often do even in good health, that "It will be all right".

Consider opening your heart and a home to a new furbaby who needs one. I found it helped get over the empty spot and hurt I felt, though they are all so unique and one could never really 'replace' one that has gone on over the rainbow.

I 'looked' a good bit right away at the link below to locate the perfect 'pup'. You can see a lot of what is available and waiting for a good home at a lot of different shelters near you (hopefully).

Take care...

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Petfinder.com

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Honestly, Trin, I think you let her go by giving her permission, rather than her hanging on trying not to disappoint you. She isn't suffering anynore, and you and she are victorious in that respect. Bless your aching heart.

• wanda_illinois
    16 years ago

(((Hugs)))

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

She was lucky to have you to help her when she needed help...You can feel sad, and hurt but not guilt....you did the right thing...

• justlinda
    16 years ago

My last furbaby was dying from acute kidney failure, and suffering and I held her while the vet administered to her. She looked at me with her big brown eyes that said "It's going to be okay now, and I trust you."

And here I sit with tears streaming down my face as I type, but they know that you're releasing them from all the pain. It's a very unselfish act that we do this for them.

{{gwi:1543436}}

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I had to do that, and it hurts!

Hugs from me to you!

• janemarie5
    16 years ago

I'm just tearing up at the thought of having to do this someday... I can't imagine how difficult it is. Be kind to yourself.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

It's such a hard thing to do. But it's the most kind thing you could do at the same time. Take comfort in all the joy you found in her.
    Leslie

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

Trinity,

I'm sorry to hear this. That is the hardest thing to do for our furry friends, but you did the best thing for her. Don't feel guilty, it was the right thing.

• alisande
    16 years ago

No guilt, please. As my vet said to me, it's too bad we're not ablel to do this for suffering humans.

I truly believe you will see her again.

Hugs,
    Susan

• sandy_in_ia
    16 years ago

(((Trinity))) I am so sorry to hear of your loss!

• Eliza_ann_ca
    16 years ago

My heart goes out to you.
    My Sheba is almost 15 yrs old,and I know it's just a matter of time.
    I also know from past experience that it will hurt a lot for awhile,but think of all the love and care you gave her over the years,and how she was blessed to have you there at the end to ease her suffering,
    Hugs...Eliza Ann

• ronf_gw
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry, trin.
    Hugs to you.

Ron

• linda_in_iowa
    16 years ago

You did the right thing. I have been there several times and I know it breaks your heart.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I know exactly how bad you feel. You did the best thing and it was out of love.

• okwriter
    16 years ago

Aw, Trin. I'm so sorry, but you did such a selfless thing. When DH put his girl down after 15 years, he said that drive across town was the longest of his life.

If you will, please post a picture of Shelby. I'd like to imagine her running free with our Katie.

Hugs to you ~

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

You had to make a hard decision but I'll bet it was what Shelby would have wanted if she was old and sick. Hugs, Mammie

• aprilflower
    16 years ago

(((Trinity and family)))

I'm sorry. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

• trinitytx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are all so sweet. I know where my friends are.
    My head is pounding, so I am off to bed early tonite. This has been the hardest day ever. DH did not know for several hours after I got home, and he just lost it when I told him..It's been a really tough day.
    I swear all the other animals are looking at me funny, but I am sure it is just me.
    What a rough day.

You have all made it easier, and for that I thank you.

Trin

• nodakgal
    16 years ago

Heartfelt hugs for you and your DH!

• shequit
    16 years ago

Trinity - you did it for Shelby. It was the right thing to do. When the time comes, it is the most kind and caring thing a person can do for an animal.

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

Your Shelby is at peace now, reunited with her buddies. My heart goes out to you, Trinity ...

• ritamay91710
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry abour your baby. Everyone is right, of course, you have nothing to feel guilty about. But I know that is easier said than done.
    I know for me, that when the time comes for my "boys", I will be crying for myself, not for them because I know it is one of the greatest gifts you can do for a suffering animal, like alisande said, too bad we can't help humans in the same way.
    It is nice to think about the "fab four" being together again

Take care
    Rita

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

((((Trinity))))

• lulie___wayne
    16 years ago

So sorry, Trinity.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

It's never an easy thing to do, but it was the right thing. I'll always remember what my son said when we were in the same situation. He said we should offer our pets 'only good days.' And that's what you did for Shelby.

• williamsburgjane
    16 years ago

Trinity, so sorry about Shelby, but please don't feel guilty. We have had to do it twice and its not any easier the 2nd time either. Sending special thoughts and warm hugs to you.

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

It was a kind thing you did. I had to do the same with my mother's 15 year old cat. She just couldn't do it. I know he was suffering, and was glad when his suffering was over.

• clubm
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry. (((((Hugs)))))

• trinitytx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everybody for all the warm thoughts. It was so odd not having to get up in the middle of the night to carry her outside. But I still woke up every few hours. I slept well though knowing she is better off now. I cried the hardest coming home from the vet knowing that I could not take back my decision. I looked up her AKC papers this morning, and found she was born April 2, 1992. So whe was closing in on being 16 years old. The fab four were Missy, Tate, Alley, and Shelby. All Lhasa Apsos. Shelby and Tate were best of buddies, and had a litter of 4 precious puppys
    about 14 years ago. One of their offspring made the news by finding an elderly man fallen in his garage. With out his persistance, the gentleman would have probably died.
    Lots of wonderful memories the fab four had at this house. I will treasure them always. They helped raise my three kids here. Today I need to call the kids and let them know.
    Trin

• bettyswwa
    16 years ago

((((Trinity))))

• Granlan_TX
    16 years ago

Oh Trin, my heart goes out to you and your family..I've been where you are more than once, and it's never easy, but guilt is not an issue here, ok?

Pure love was all Shelby knew; she also knew you were caring for her until the end. And that's all we can do, dear.

Granlan Hugs ;(

• chubby_rat
    16 years ago

My heart goes out to you Trin....that's the hardest thing to do.But the only thing.....
    I'm going to have to make that decision soon I think...Chica is about 14 and going blind and Tassie is 13 and has never been "healthy" she was born crippled.I can see them going downhill.Tassie is my soulmate out of all my dogs.I can't stand the thought of losing her.
    But I'm sure your Fab Four are together again...no pain,no suffering...just running the green lush fields together!
    (((Trinity & Shelby)))