SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uhgar_gw

Heat Pump - replacement - questions to ask

13 years ago

Hello all,

I own a 1600 sq ft townhouse (with one common wall with my neighbor) in the Greater Boston region. I (and most of the 70-odd people in my condo complex) have heat pump systems for heating and A/C.

My Lennox system is working but old (the air handler is 1983 model and the outdoor condenser is 1995 model).

I want to upgrade these this year and take advantage of the Federal tax credit.

I had the first contractor come yesterday and give me some quotes. Here they are:

----------------------------------------

Option 1 ~ 13-SEER

- Remove and dispose of your existing heat pump system

- Install (1)-2.5-ton, 13-SEER outdoor condenser with environmentally friendly Puron refrigerant with a crane.

- Install (1)-air handler with single speed blower motor and electric emergency heat

- Modify duct plenum for a smooth transition from the new air handler to the existing duct system

- Reconnect to your existing electrical, duct system and refrigerant lines

- Install (1)-digital, programmable thermostat

- Replace (1)-6" flexible duct and tape all seams on basement duct systems

The total for this replacement with a Payne Heat Pump System will be $6,310.00

(PH13 & PF4)

The total for this replacement with a Bryant Heat Pump System will be $6,620.00

(213 & FB4)

The total for this replacement with a Carrier Heat Pump System will be $6,695.00

(FB & 25HBC3)

(This systems DOES NOT qualify for any rebates or tax credits)

--------------------------------------

Option 2 ~ 15-SEER

- Remove and dispose of your existing heat pump system

- Install (1)-2.5-ton, 15.50-SEER outdoor condenser with environmentally friendly Puron refrigerant with a crane.

- Install (1)-air handler with variable speed blower motor and electric emergency heat

- Modify duct plenum for a smooth transition from the new air handler to the existing duct system

- Reconnect to your existing electrical, duct system and refrigerant lines

- Install (1)-digital, programmable thermostat

- Replace (1)-6" flexible duct and tape all seams on basement duct systems

The total for this replacement with a Bryant Heat Pump System will be $7,920.00

(215BNA & FV4)

The total for this replacement with a Carrier Heat Pump System will be $8,085.00

(FV & 25HBC5)

(Both of these systems do qualify for a $400 rebate from the Power Company,

As well as a $1,500 tax credit for 2010)

---------------------------------------------

Now I have a few thoughts and comments:

- Are these prices reasonable? Wherever I have searched online, the price seems to be in the range of $5K-6K for the 15 SEER option.

- It seems to be counter-intuitive to think about the 13 SEER when the 15-SEER, with the tax credits will work to the same amount.

- The price of Bryant and Carrier (for similar configurations) seem almost the same - does that sound right?

- Is the contractor trying to price for something that he is *supposed* to give as part of the package?

- Any general thought you may have on these quotes and if I have missed adding anything else that may add value.

This is my first home and my first major purchase and I want to be sure I am making the right decision and not get fleeced by any contractor (although, I have to say I get a bit paranoid with them!)

Thanks and any input/insight would be appreciated!

Comments (16)