SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pumpnheat

Yet Another Heat Pump Replacement Question

pumpnheat
15 years ago

Well-regarded Carrier dealer has suggested Payne PH4A 3T compressor and PH4M variable speed air handler for Tampa-area rental house that might serve as owner retirement home later (resulting in desire for equipment upgrade).

Bid is $5K, all in, including 10 year parts and compressor warranty, 2 year labor warranty,and two visits under their preventive maintenance program (we've used the program and it's a value). Includes removal of the existing equipment.

Given the relatively low equipment cost (probably under $2K) for Payne, the bid seems high, but it's in line with another bid for Goodman equivalent equipment, plus likely a better install. Any thoughts appreciated.

Recognizing the equipment cost is a relatively small part of the bid, it occurs to me to consider upgrading the equipment to mid-grade Carrier pieces, specifically, their Performance line's FV4 fan coil and their 25HPA5 compressor. I will get the upgraded price from my dealer, but thought I should check here first to see what others thought I should expect to pay for the upgraded equipment over the Payne bid (ball park thoughts are fine).

Finally, I'm likely asking the wrong folks, but it occurs to me ask whether it's expected/unusual/forbidden for the homeowner to attempt to negotiate a lower price in the HVAC business. I'm not sure if the bids are pumped a bit in anticipation of a requested reduction, or not. I'd hate to just lay down for the full bid if I don't have to. Also, I understand the bid price typically runs about 300% of the equipment price, but it doesn't take much more time to install the higher-end equipment, so it looks like the seller has some room, especially on the upgraded equipment. I don't want to keep anyone from their just due, I just don't want to overpay.

Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath