SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonymayo

Replacement heat pump system question

tonymayo
14 years ago

My house was built 17 years ago. I have a Carrier heat pump system. For the last 3 years the system has been leaking its regrigerant. A yearly recharge of the system has worked ok. But now it runs non stop it seems and has a hard time keeping the house warm adn i believe costing me electric bills. So with the tax credit available I am thinking of upgrading the inner and outer units? Is that was should be done? What should I look for . I am not sure what size the unit is now and I do not know a reputable hvac company in my area. The company that installed the original unit when the house was built would not come check out the unit 3 years ago when it started to act up because I did not have a service contract with them , so they told it would be 2 weeks till they would even put me on the schedule to make an appointment. So I would like to have some idea of what information i should have before I go about looking for a company to do this job. Also what cost range would a energy efficient unit run installed when replacing an existing unit? I line in NE PA and my hous is about 2800 sq ft to heat/ac. One more question, will I save in electric with a new unit compared to a 17 year old one?

Thanks

Comments (13)