SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shark82

Questions about replacing the Heat Pump system for my house

shark82
14 years ago

First of all, I want to say thanks in advance for the information at this site and any responses that I receive to my post. I am amazed at the quality and quantity of useful information provided by the members of this forum.

I live in South Carolina (very hot/humid in summer), and my house is 13 years old. I have been told that the current (original) heat pump unit has a refrigerant leak and that I would be best to put the money towards a new system. Knowing that these systems typically do not last much longer than 15 years, and knowing that a new unit will be more efficient, IÂve decided to go ahead with a replacement.

I have received two quotes so far (but one of the quotes was so high it isnÂt worth mentioning). Here are the details for the other quote:

Carrier 3-ton 18.2 SEER Split System Heat Pump, Variable Speed Blower, 2-stage compressor, Infinity controls/thermostat. SPID-333-3 Model Numbers: 25HNA936A003, FE4ANB006T00, KFCEH0501N05, SYSTXCCUID01-B. System qualities for government energy tax credit. Quoted price of $8,184 for the installed system (which is after a $1,000 rebate from Carrier). This EXCLUDES an additional $2,200 cost that they want to charge me for "upgrading" my zoning to work with the Infinity system (I currently have a 3-zone system) Â they are saying that the zoning system needs to be modified to work with the Infinity controls (electrical versus mechanical?), nothing related to re-sizing any of the ductwork, etc. So, the total cost (including zoning work/upgrades) would be $10,384. I realize that I should get a few more quotes, but I had been told by a co-worker that this company has good rates (based on recent research they he had done).

My questions:

1. My current unit is a 2-ton unit, which has not been very good at cooling (and that was with just two of the three zones in operation). So, I am ok with recommendation for a larger unit, but what other things do I need to be aware of when putting in a "larger capacity" system (I asked about the capability of my current ductwork to be able to handle a larger unit, but I didnÂt get what I thought was a straightforward response).

2. I have not seen much discussion in this forum about the need to upgrade the zoning in old systems in order to be able to handle newer heat pump systems (such as the Infinity). Is this typical/required? Is it normal for this to be quoted separate from the install? The overall cost for the quote IÂve received ($10,384) seems high compared to many of the other quotes IÂve seen at this site.

3. They also gave me a quote for a 16.5 SEER Carrier Heat Pump system at $700 less (still 2-stage compressor). Everything else seems to be exactly the same. Is it worth paying an extra $700 to get the higher efficiency/SEER rating?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals