SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtgoose

Replacing Heat Pump - Advice??

gtgoose
14 years ago

Hope I posted this question in the right place, if not please move to correct section...

I live in West Central Florida, 30 minutes north of Tampa. I'm looking to replace my 10 year old 5-ton Lennox heat pump. The compressor recently seized and is now grounded-out, at least that how it was explained to me by the technician who diagnosed the problem. Last spring, I had the my 3200 sqft house re-zoned and added a 2-ton HP (handles master BR & bath + bonus room = approx 900 sqft). So I'm looking to replace the old 5-ton HP with a 4-ton HP to handle the remaining 2300 sqft.

I have focused on selecting a reputable contractor first then equipment second.

I have narrowed down my search to 2 very reputable local contractors (NATE certified, A+ BBB ratings with many excellent referrals). I have listed below which models each one is recommending. Price wise, they are very close to one another.

FIRST Contractor;

Is recommending an AMERICAN STANDARD split system;

- Heritage 15 Heat Pump # 4A6H5048E10 (4-Ton / 16.5 Seer / Single Speed compressor)

- Ultimate Air Handler # 4TEE3F65B (4-Ton / Variable Speed/ 10KW strips)

--- Additional Services offered; Flushing of copper lines w/R11 & Nitrogen, fix and/or modify any duct work, also recommends adding additional return, will verify that proper static pressure is achieved.

SECOND Contractor;

Is recommending an BRYANT split system;

-Preferred Series Heat Pump # 226ANA048000 (4-Ton / 16 Seer / 2-Speed compressor)

-Preferred Series Air Handler # FV4CNF005T00 (5-Ton / Variable Speed / 10KW strips / UV Light)

--- Additional Services offered; Replacing all copper lines, fix and/or modify any duct work also recommends adding additional return, will verify that proper static pressure is achieved.

Now these are my questions and/or concerns;

- I believe (from what I have been told) that a 2 speed compressor will makes a system more efficient. By running a the lower speed more often that at high speed. Am I correct??

--- If so; I'm leaning towards the BRYANT system because of it has a 2 speed compressor. But my concern is that Bryant's website shows the Preferred Series compressors as ONLY being a single speed. I asked the 2nd contractor about this and he states that these are very new units (about 6 months old) and are based on the Evolution series compressor models (which are 2 speed). He also states that Bryant's website may not yet be updated with these newer units. Can anyone confirm this??

I'd like to make sure these are correctly matched systems? And I'm hoping these systems qualify for the $1500 Tax Credit?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Comments (6)